Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 1692 times)

cjdavia@gmail.com

Hi everyone
« on: June 28, 2018, 07:20:05 AM »
Hi everyone - Chris from Connecticut here.

I've smoked a few things on the gas grill with mixed results.  I've never used a dedicated smoker and am looking forward to purchasing a Model 3d wifi very soon!  The ease-of-use, and knowledge/support of this user community is a big contributor to the decision-making process.  I am looking forward to learning from your experiences.

I am locked and loaded and hopefully there will be a promotion in the future to encourage me to pull the trigger... but I do have a few questions:

1. Some of my friends tell me that it is difficult to get firm, snappy rib meat with an electric smoker.  I'm wondering if this is this true for the SI?  Many folks add a water pan so I'm hoping we can debunk this one pretty quickly.
2. When doing a long smoke, can you set up the smoker to cook something to the proper internal temperature temperature and then hold the temperature after it is done without drying things out too much?  How do you rest the meat in this situation -- or maybe you don't?  Never done this before, any rules of thumb to follow?
3. Any thoughts about leaving the smoker covered, outside, all year long in the long Connecticut winters - maybe it is better to move it into the garage?  How portable is the 3D?

I hope to become an avid user and contributor in the near future.  Thanks for all the support and happy smoking!

Chris

Chris
Madison, CT

Hank R

Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 08:30:22 AM »
Welcome Chris, from western Canada.  I can not help you with answers to your questions as I am new also but someone will very s ;) ;)oon.
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:57:06 AM »
Hi everyone - Chris from Connecticut here.

I've smoked a few things on the gas grill with mixed results.  I've never used a dedicated smoker and am looking forward to purchasing a Model 3d wifi very soon!  The ease-of-use, and knowledge/support of this user community is a big contributor to the decision-making process.  I am looking forward to learning from your experiences.

I am locked and loaded and hopefully there will be a promotion in the future to encourage me to pull the trigger... but I do have a few questions:

1. Some of my friends tell me that it is difficult to get firm, snappy rib meat with an electric smoker.  I'm wondering if this is this true for the SI?  Many folks add a water pan so I'm hoping we can debunk this one pretty quickly.
2. When doing a long smoke, can you set up the smoker to cook something to the proper internal temperature temperature and then hold the temperature after it is done without drying things out too much?  How do you rest the meat in this situation -- or maybe you don't?  Never done this before, any rules of thumb to follow?
3. Any thoughts about leaving the smoker covered, outside, all year long in the long Connecticut winters - maybe it is better to move it into the garage?  How portable is the 3D?

I hope to become an avid user and contributor in the near future.  Thanks for all the support and happy smoking!

Chris

Hey Chris,
This smoker makes the best ribs ever and you just put them in for 5 hours check and then eat!
Check out Tony's step by step under recipes and pork, below is a link to it
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4412.0

Yes you can set the smoker to cook something to the proper internal temperature temperature and then have it drop temp to hold. I do this sometimes with Brisket, but once the meat hits temp, I like to open the door and let the temp drop a bit. With this smoker you will need very little wood and a water pan will last the whole smoke.

Some things you smoke like Brisket you will want to rest. Most folks pull the finished brisket and place it in a cooler with towels for a couple of hours. I just turn the smoker down to 160 degrees and leave it till I am ready to eat.

On your weather concerns, since I am in the south I just leave mine out all year. I believe a lot of folks most likely leave their smoker out in the north also, but I will let others chime in here.  The 3d comes with heavy duty wheels, so you could roll it into your garage if you wanted.

My best advice is to go to the section of the forum and read the User Guidelines and Instructions. Next I would then start looking at recipes from our members, lots of folks post how much wood they used, did they use a water pan and tons of other great stuff.

Anyways Welcome !
Best Greg

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »
Welcome Chris from SE Arizona. You can program the controller to keep warm at 140 degrees after the meat is finished to your liking. Wrapping brisket or butts in a couple layers of heavy duty foil then a large g heavy towel and placing in a cooler will keep the meat hot for a few hours. Using a water pan is optional. It increases the humidity of the smoker; can’t say if it helps or not. I have done butts and briskets with and without and if there is a difference I really cannot tell. Yes you can keep the smoker stored outside with a cover on. I would hesitate to store in direct sunlight because of the controller. The controller is waterproof.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »
Thank you David and Greg. 

It turns out that SI is running a 4th of July promotion so I jumped on it... just placed an order for the 3d wifi and 3d cover.  Hopefully the 3d cover will work with the wifi controller.  I wonder if I'll get it before the fourth?  In anycase, my wife and I can't wait for the first smoke!  :-)   

Thanks for responding to my post!
Chris
Chris
Madison, CT

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »
Steve ships the smokers pretty fast. Have a happy 4th.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »
He sure does!  I got shipping notification about 1.5 hours after placing the order.  That's just amazing
Chris
Madison, CT

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 03:18:26 PM »
Chris, you should have time to head on over to the meat market. FYI, ribs or pork butts make great first time smokes. Enjoy and Happy 4th!!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
Hey there JustChillin,

Your response is timely, I was just wondering what I might cook for the first smoke!  If things go as planned I can be seasoning on the third and smokin' on the fourth of July!  An order from Smokinlicious is arriving on the third as well.  My evil plan is coming together nicely.

I had the same thoughts about the first smoke.. We'll see what's available (and worthy of the first smoke) at the meat market!

Thanks for the post,
Chris
Chris
Madison, CT

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 12:47:31 AM »
Congrats on your smoker Chris! You can definitely program your smoker to drop to a 140 holding temperature after your meat has reached it's time or internal meat temp setting, but you absolutely must physically open the door and let the box temp drop. These smokers are so well insulated, that the temperature will not drop for several hours on its own, and your meat will become overcooked.

If you are opening the door anyway, I would just double wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler. It's a far superior way to rest in my opinion. You can rest brisket and butt as long as 6 hours in this arrangement. Ribs probably 4 hours or more. I did a test with a 9+ pound butt, and it took 6.5 hours for the internal temperature to get to 140 (foil, towels), and that was in a cheap Igloo Playmate cooler. So no need to "keep warm" unless you are going past 6 hours. If you need to keep warm in the smoker, then get the box temp down to 140-145, and add your meat back in. I'd wrap in cling film before the foil, to help keep the moisture in, if I needed to keep warm for more than 6 hours.

My smoker stays "outside", but with a cover, on a covered screen porch, completely protected from the sun, rain and snow, just not the cold. Even though I'm sure it can tolerate more weather, it seems too nice to leave outside all winter.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:56:48 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 07:28:03 AM »
Great advice, SconnyQ.  I didn't realize we could rest meat for that long.... Very cool.  Thank you very much.
Chris
Madison, CT