Author Topic: Mopping?  (Read 11388 times)

SkellyCA

Mopping?
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:53:49 PM »
Hi, I'm new here.

If I want to mop my meat, how much cooking time should I add to the recipe?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Mopping?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:43:46 PM »
You will see a temperature drop each time you open the door; the key is to focus on temp rather than time.  Each piece of meat has it's own unique characteristics ... for example, brisket and pork butt may stall for hours with one piece or cut but not for another.

The great thing about the Smokin-It designs is that the chamber temp bounces back VERY quickly so the impact on total time is negligible.

Get a good thermometer and measure the temp, not the time.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »
Been watching the BBQ pitmasters, they recommend using a spritz bottle much faster than mopping.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

SkellyCA

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:29:19 PM »
Thank you!

I got some baby back ribs for my first smoke in this smoker. Going to do them Apple City style tomorrow. Get everything ready tonight.

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26:38 PM »
Baby backs are a good choice, but make sure you've seasoned the smoker before you throw them in there.  A few tips for your first smoke:

- Season the smoker per the instructions on the Smokin-It website.
- Buy some heavy duty extra-wide tin foil for lining the bottom of the smoker and the lid of the smoker box.
- Be sure to use a decent thermometer (like the Maverick).
- Don't go too heavy on the wood ... one dowel will do you nicely.

Best of luck on breaking her in!  Be sure to post pics under the Pork discussion thread.
Joe from Houston, TX

SkellyCA

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 10:54:32 PM »
Baby backs are a good choice, but make sure you've seasoned the smoker before you throw them in there.  A few tips for your first smoke:

- Season the smoker per the instructions on the Smokin-It website.
- Buy some heavy duty extra-wide tin foil for lining the bottom of the smoker and the lid of the smoker box.
- Be sure to use a decent thermometer (like the Maverick).
- Don't go too heavy on the wood ... one dowel will do you nicely.

Best of luck on breaking her in!  Be sure to post pics under the Pork discussion thread.

Thank you!

I seasoned it on Wednesday with some sample wood.
I lined it with foil tonight. I will get some wider foil next time. I used two strips this time.
I have a good thermometer already.
I have a couple Mesquite chucks in there now for tomorrow.

Ribs are marinating now.

What kind of wood is the sample wood?

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »
The sample wood is Hickory!
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

SkellyCA

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 12:49:41 AM »
The sample wood is Hickory!

Thank you! I've used lots of hickory in the past. I figure the lighter smoke of the mesquite will work well with the  apple marinade and mop.

UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 01:49:50 AM »
Just a heads' up ... you seem to be stating something that is the flip of the common perspective regarding mesquite and hickory; mesquite is a MUCH stronger flavor (more than triple the lignins of hickory) and oversmoking will leave the meat quite bitter.  I'd use a very light hand with mesquite on pork ... beef can stand up to the flavor a bit better, however.

That's not to say that mesquite can't make pork tasty ... everyone likes different flavor profiles so good on ya if it gives you what you're looking for.

Here's a really nice synopsis of the science of wood with regard to smoking meats (and yes, I am a smoking nerd who actually buys up all these books  ;D): 

http://books.google.com/books?id=sKnH2yzH5MQC&pg=PT242&lpg=PT242&dq=lignins+mesquite&source=bl&ots=c4ZbbCiIcF&sig=tGfzq75sy1nDKpp3Sjnkwj9P3QU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JHKxUb7fNq_PywHg_ICQBg&ved=0CGAQ6AEwBg
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:51:51 AM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX

SkellyCA

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 11:22:37 AM »
I always thought hickory was the strongest s I've almost always used that. I'll think about it while I'm walking the dog.

I didn't see the article mention Apple Wood? Where does Apple Wood fit in at?

SkellyCA

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:32:18 AM »
I found this site which explains the different woods. Choices, choices, choices. LOL

Virtual Weber Bullet

shomesmoke

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
I always thought hickory was the strongest s I've almost always used that. I'll think about it while I'm walking the dog.

I didn't see the article mention Apple Wood? Where does Apple Wood fit in at?

Apple wood is a milder wood I use it on pork and chicken and really like it.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

SkellyCA

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 05:46:53 PM »
On my way home from the dog walk I swung by wally world and the had apple wood. So that's what I'm using, 2 apple wood chunks. They are in the smoker right now.

ETA: I did see in another thread about removing the membrane from the ribs. Yes, I did that last night before marinating them
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:53:20 PM by SkellyCA »

UWFSAE

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »
Apple, peach and cherry are my preferred woods for pork ... the fruit woods impart a lighter, sweeter smoke than do hardwoods like hickory.  I will say that blending woods is a solid option as well ... for example, 3 oz. of apple and 2 oz. of hickory give an abundance of smoke flavor with no bitterness for ribs in the #3 in my experience.

I do like mesquite and I think it is tremendous with oak or hickory when doing a long smoke like a brisket ... it's all a matter of what your tastebuds think.  :)
Joe from Houston, TX

SkellyCA

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »
Ribs are done, came out awesome!

Recipe said 3 hours and mop every hour. That's exactly what did. I didn't add any time for opening the door and mopping. Just trying to get a feel for the new unit. Figured I'd keep it simple the first time and adjust from there.

So that answers that!  ;D