Author Topic: 1st Time Brisket Recipe  (Read 3869 times)

FreelandMISmoker

1st Time Brisket Recipe
« on: June 05, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
I just got my 3.5 last week.  I wanted to start with something challenging that I had never done before.  Having 100's if not 1000's of hours on my masterbuilt (it died hence my 3.5) - smoking is not new but my 3.5 and brisket were.

This forum is half the reason I bought a smokin it!

SO, I spent hours upon hours on here reading and taking notes to try and make the perfect brisket on my first try.  I would say I got 95% of the way there(subject to your own taste :) ).  And all my guests thought it was the best they had ever eaten.  I have the good fortune of travelling the country for work so I eat bbq everywhere I go.  I am by no means an expert cook, but I do know what I like and don't like.  Here is my step by step of 6 pages of notes and an entire weekend on this cook:

1) I started with a full brisket, 11.5lbs.  Our local meat markets are so / so.  I would assume this was a "choice" cut at best.  Not premium.

We process about 10 deer a year in my family so I do ok with cutting meat.  This brisket needed some trimming to get it in shape to cook.  I would guess I took about 1.3-1.5 lbs of fat off. 
-My target was a fat cap with 3/8-1/2" fat cap.

2) Next I brined it for 12 hours in a stainless steel container (yes stainless is ok for brining.  I work for a chemical company and had my lab analyze my brine and they confirmed 100% no chance you could react the metal, seriously)

-1 gallon water
-1 1/8 cup kosher salt
-1 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp black pepper

-12 hours in the fridge covered
-Rinsed and patted dry
-Scored the fat cap in 1" squares

3) Next I wanted the smoke ring- brisket is the only place I ever look for it

- Rubbed with instacure, wrapped it in plastic wrap, and refrigerated for 1 hour
- Then rinsed thoroughly and patted dry

1 hour was too long or I rubbed too much on.  Next time I will rub less and only go for 30 minutes before rinse.  I wanted a smaller smoke ring, this was easily 1/4" in.

4) Next I injected.  I wanted a moist brisket so brine and injection were both on the list.

- 1/2 cup beef broth
-1/4 cup worcestershire
-2 tbs Franks Red Hot
-2 tbs panela (cane sugar)
-1 tbs kosher salt
-1/3 cup full bodied or dark beer (no light)

I thought the brisket was a tad salty for my liking.  Next time I'll cut the beef broth to 1/4 cup and worcestershire to 1/8 and add a 1/2 apple juice to the mix

5) Next I rubbed a light coat of yellow mustard as a binder.  Very light coat, as thin as I could get it.

6) Next I rubbed it.

-7 tbs black pepper
-3 tbs kosher salt
-3 tbs Lawry's
-1 tbs garlic powder

I will use the rub again but I will not rub the fat cap.  That's where I experienced the saltiness the most that I did not like.

-After the rub, I wrapped it in plastic wrap and refrigerated it for 12 hours.

7) Now it was time to smoke!

Assuming a cook time of roughly 1.5 hrs per lb (which did hold true!).  I placed it in the smoker so it would be ready mid day the following day.

-I used 7.2 ounces of wood.  2 pieces of hickory placed on the hotter spots and 1 piece maple on the tip of the burner where mine is cooler.  My intent was to have an equal burn on the wood- which I was able to accomplish.
- I lined the bottom of the smoker, the top of the wood box, and the bottom of my wood pieces with foil.
-I did NOT use the PID.  I set the smoker temp to 225F.
-My target internal meat temp was 190 minimum with a 200 max.  I purchased a Fireboard, so I placed 5 probes in the three most extreme thinness / thickness areas and 2 (for double redundancy) in the middle.  I was skeptical that the meat would equalize on temp.  The thinnest part was maybe 3/4" and the thickest was well over 3".  Within in 2 hours the entire piece was cooking within 5 degrees of each other and finished that way.  Thank you Fireboard for putting my mind at ease!
-I placed the meat fat cap down
-

8) After the fireboard showed me all my areas were up to temp (the last hour was grueling to watch and wait!)

-I pulled the meat out and placed it in foil
-I dumped the remaining 3/4 cup of injection on the meat and wrapped it tight
-It then went into a cooler with towels below and above for 1 hr

Then it came out and was cut!

It was very good and I will use this recipe again with a few tweaks mentioned above.

If you've never tried to cook brisket, try it! 
Brett
Freeland, MI
Smokin It 3.5 with Fireboard and competition probes :)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 1st Time Brisket Recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
These smokers make getting good Q simple.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »
Hey Brett, thanks for the detailed brisket recipe. Gonna try this on Friday for a party. Costco sells a nice prime brisket for a reasonable price. Happy smoking
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

ashbifs

• Ashbourne Financial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:58:51 AM »
The top four posts on beef are currently about Brisket. Why is this to popular?

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 08:58:04 AM »
The top four posts on beef are currently about Brisket. Why is this to popular?

@ ashbifs Briskets are easy to make but hard to master in my opinion. Its a large cut of meat (the breast of the cow). Done correctly the meat is to die for but getting there involves a ton of time.
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »
Brisket is my favorite cut of meat to smoke. As well as most others when it comes to beef.

Congrats on the successful smoke.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 11:21:26 AM »
In the United States, brisket was considered a useless cut of meat that was ground up for chili’s, stew, or just thrown out for animal feed.  The ranch owners would keep the best cuts of meat from the cows for themselves and the ranch hands would get the useless cuts of meats.  This is how beef brisket became a meat staple in Texas.  It was not until the 1950’s when German butchers put brisket in a smoker and cooked over low, indirect heat to create today what is known as Texas barbecued brisket.  In most barbecue lots in Texas, brisket is served on a piece of butcher paper and accompanied with sausage.
Best Greg