Author Topic: #2 - Need Help Please - Brisket!!! I am first time user.  (Read 1727 times)

sms32084

#2 - Need Help Please - Brisket!!! I am first time user.
« on: May 19, 2018, 10:23:13 PM »
Hello. I am a first time user with my model #2 and would like to smoke a brisket. I went to recipe section and see a few recipes but also see a lot of different opinions. If you would please send me detailed instructions of how to smoke a 8-10lb brisket. I love bark and am using pecan wood chips. I appreciate the input. Thank you.

jaka (Ken)

Re: #2 - Need Help Please - Brisket!!! I am first time user.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »
See my post titled, "Small brisket success." on how I smoked my first brisket. Turned out wonderfully well. If I had seen your post with your brisket question before I posted I would have just put it as a response to your query. Good luck with your brisket.
Ken Admire
Retired from Navy and also oil/gas industry.
Using #3D Smoker. Started with the 2D and
loved it but gave it to one of my sons when I
bought the larger 3D.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 09:08:44 PM »
Bark on a brisket means a dried out flat to me. Especially on that thin corner. I'm not a big fan of "bark" on brisket, so can't help you there. Brisket will naturally get a dark smoky outside, but I would not call it bark. Bark is my last requirement when it comes to smoking a perfect brisket. Bark on a butt is a different story. But I like my bark layer on butt not as thick as others. It is a flavoring and textural agent for the rest of the meat, but must not overpower. It's about balance. Too much bark is just plain dry.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 02:02:28 PM »
Here's a link to when I was asking questions for my first brisket...  I also use a #2 and it came out great!  I would personally recommend that you get some pecan chunks instead of chips since this will be a long smoke.  Read through the linked post and follow up with any additional questions...

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5798.msg53822#msg53822
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...