Author Topic: "Big Red" is HERE!!  (Read 23817 times)

jclifton

Re: "Big Red" is HERE!!
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
Has anyone been able to access their smoker when on the cell network -- NOT your home wifi? 

Thank you!
Chris

Chris,

Mine does work on cellular away from the house.  I'll look in my Check Point appliance and see what ports it is using or what addresses the smoker is accessing.  I was interested in checking on this any way as I  suspect it is really using some cloud service.

Jason

For those interested my WiFi controller connects to ip 54.183.197.146 which is host ec2-54-183-197-146.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com(Amazon Web Serivces) on port 16384.  So as long as the wifi controller can access the internet on port 16384 you should be able to use your app over a cellular connection once paired over WiFi.

I would love to know if there is any usage or personnel information being collected by the cloud service.  I know this might sound paranoid but it is a reasonable question given the world we live in.

Jason
On order:
SI 3.5D w/Big Red

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2018, 04:45:10 PM »
I just tested the Big Red on the cell network, disconnected wireless and it connects just fine with ATT!
Best Greg

LuvMyQ

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2018, 05:09:59 PM »
I checked on my temps as I was shopping for groceries today with no issues on my 3D wifi.  That was just with standard phone app setup.

Today was my 3rd smoke.  The only issue I had was that I could not get the app to communicate with the smoker, even though the wifi light was solid blue.  I had to uninstall the app and re-add the smoker.  Then all was fine.

Forum Masters - A Wifi Controller topic might be a valuable addition.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2018, 06:07:49 PM »
First smoke with the Big Red, simple chicken wings, just on setting 250 degrees for 2 hours.
Unless I am missing something it would be nice if the app rang to let you know that the smoke was completed. Other than that, I am really liking the new setup.
Best Greg

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2018, 08:36:04 AM »
Hey there Jason,

Thank you for the response, but I think we're good!

Half-way through my fourth-of-july smoke (first smoke with the 3d), the wifi module on my iPhone 6 stopped working.  Turned out to be a hardware issue.  There was a Verizon store near me that was open on the 4th so I had an excuse to upgrade to a new iPhone X.  The app now works perfectly.

I'm still curious about how the app knows to tunnel through so seamlessly - but it's no longer an issue. 

Thanks so much for offering to help!

Chris
Chris
Madison, CT

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2018, 08:40:27 AM »
Jason,

I just saw your post - thanks for collecting all that info!  Agree about the data privacy -- seems like a reasonable ask. 

Thanks again
Chris
Chris
Madison, CT

Grady

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »
Any idea what and if any price difference there is between the Big Red and the WSD-1500H-W? Pro's or con's to either or?

Thanks, Tim
814'er in the 'daks.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »
Any idea what and if any price difference there is between the Big Red and the WSD-1500H-W? Pro's or con's to either or?

Thanks, Tim

Tim,
The Big Red is built and and you will have two additional probes. If you go with the WSD-1500H-W, it is external and you will not have the cabinet probe.
Here is a link with more info on the 1500
https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/WSD-1500H_manual.pdf
Best Greg

Grady

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2018, 06:39:24 PM »

Tim,
The Big Red is built and and you will have two additional probes. If you go with the WSD-1500H-W, it is external and you will not have the cabinet probe.
Here is a link with more info on the 1500
https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/WSD-1500H_manual.pdf
Best Greg

Thanks Greg. Am I understanding correctly that Big Red will do everything that the 1500 will do and no type of modifications will be needed, such as re-wiring like many of the members did when they installed the 1500?  Have the prices been put out for Big Red yet?
Thank ya, Tim
814'er in the 'daks.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2018, 10:12:20 PM »
Tim - The wifi model smokers which have the Big Red have a built-it cabinet probe. The smokers also have a solid state relay (SSR) attached to the cabinet. Converting an analog to the Big Red while not impossible will be labor intensive; also I do not believe Steve is planning on providing any engineered drawings to do such a conversion but I could be wrong.  The 1500 wifi will give you what you need with no need to rewire the smoker unless you want to. A second meat probe is optional.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2018, 09:04:34 AM »
In addition to what David said...
You will have a built in heat sink while the plug n play model uses ambient temp. You also won’t have another piece of equipment keep up with and the capability to have 2 meat probes, 1 for programming use and one meat only OR, if you smoke by temp only or time only 2 built in meat probes while only 1 with the plug n play. As far as price difference goes, currently the plug n play is $278 while the difference between the Smokin-it Big Red model is about $225. Having owned both, I favor and have chosen the Big Red Smokin-it upgrade in my case, but would also favor it if I were purchasing a new smoker.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2018, 03:24:39 PM »
In addition to what David said...
You will have a built in heat sink while the plug n play model uses ambient temp. You also won’t have another piece of equipment keep up with and the capability to have 2 meat probes, 1 for programming use and one meat only OR, if you smoke by temp only or time only 2 built in meat probes while only 1 with the plug n play. As far as price difference goes, currently the plug n play is $278 while the difference between the Smokin-it Big Red model is about $225. Having owned both, I favor and have chosen the Big Red Smokin-it upgrade in my case, but would also favor it if I were purchasing a new smoker.

Grady, my apologies. I thought you were trying to decide on a D model vs a D WiFi. Think I picked up you bought a #2 from another member. So upgrading to a Big Red is not possible with the current upgrade. Your better choice in this case would be the auber wifi plug n play. Watch for a sale on it because in the interim you can put out some awesome grub!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

dsskid

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2019, 08:15:10 AM »
Can an analog #1 be retrofitted with a big red?  Is the Big red sold separately?
John, from Long Island, NY

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2019, 12:30:16 AM »
No and no.  But you can get the stand alone unit from Auber.  It should work just fine.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus