Author Topic: Cambro score from Craigslist  (Read 3213 times)

Lonzinomaker

Cambro score from Craigslist
« on: February 22, 2018, 11:25:49 AM »
I've been looking for a replacement cooler to use for my meat rests. The cooler I used for my pulled pork retained the smell through several vinegar and baking soda rinses ( I use the cooler during harvest for my drinking water). So I wanted a dedicated cooler to use for resting meats in.
I've seen Cambro mentioned in some of the other forums so I did a Google search and thought the carriers would work really good. But they are right up there with Yeti prices.
I did a Craigslist search and found 2 large carriers and one small one for $120.  Noticed the add had been in for almost 2 months, so I offered $100 and they accepted. Now I have 2 great front loading coolers that I can fit trays in to rest my meats. Not sure what I am going to do with the small one yet.
1rst picture is of the square cooler (I think they don't make it anymore, so I want to keep it for drinking water as it fits perfectly in my harvest truck). The second is of the Cambro carriers. Alongside is my volunteer taste tester that needs a haircut.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:27:30 AM by Lonzinomaker »
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Cambro score from Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:53:50 AM »
Dave, I've always had good luck filling my cooler with water and bleach to remove any residual smells.  How big of a tray will the new one hold? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 12:13:58 PM »
They are made for full size hotel trays.
The reason I was excited about them is they are supposed to hold the starting temp within 12 degrees for 4 hours, that should be long enough for a good rest. The front loading door and side rails will allow me to easily load the meat in with a half or full pan. Should be able to put meat in a pan and cover with single layer of foil making less handling and easier transport.
Dave
Spokane, WA

EFGM

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 09:04:56 PM »
Double Dave's in one this one. You will love your Cambro's and you will have no problem keeping whatever you put in them for hours. I have gone as much as 6 hours and as I said you will love them. Bought mine at Ace Mart and you got a super buy on them. That top small one looks like a beverage dispenser. They make risers for them so you can get a bigger cup on them but you have to really search to find them at a bargain. One other thing I was told but haven't tried yet, if you ever need a Ice Chest, just turn one of the Cambros on their back with the door on top and wallaa, you have your cooler without having to carry two different items.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 10:03:10 PM »
No spout on the little one. I looked at it to get a model number and brand is Carlisle. Web search shows it is a soup and chili server.
Dave
Spokane, WA

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 07:53:29 AM »
Another thing on the cheap I did for the cambro was a cart to roll it with. Got a 4 wheel furniture dolly from Harbor freight and tacked a couple of boards to hold it from sliding off. Not sure of the weight limit but I’ll bet it would support to loaded cambros. I’ve had as much as 5 briskies in mine and it was a back saver for sure. Sure a lot cheaper than the Cambro dolly!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:55:00 AM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
Thanks. I have an extra HF cart that was intended for my Green Mountain Davy Crockett grill. Grill didn't fit, so I have an extra cart.  Cambro will fit on it well and I will be able to transfer meat my SI #3 without bending over since it is on a cart too.
Dave
Spokane, WA