Author Topic: First Brisket  (Read 2927 times)

chrisjadams

First Brisket
« on: February 18, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »
My first brisket was a success!  And when I say my first brisket, I mean first ever for me, by any cooking means.  Shout out to the forum members who have shared their knowledge (and the Lazy-Q document), as without it, I'm certain the results wouldn't have been the same.

Started with a 9 lb. prime packer from the butcher's around the corner.  Was the smallest they had, and I was shooting to not have to cut it down for my 2D, by going diagonal on a rack.  Trimmed it a bit, used the trimmings to coat the top of the flat, then coated with oil, used a local dry rub ("It's a Dry Heat" by www.anthonyspices.com), wrapped it in saran, and put back in the fridge while I prepped the 2D.  Used about 8 oz. of wood (half hickory and half white ash (in a foil boat)) and a small can of apple juice in the Sasha. 

Used the 2D meat probe in the flat, to control the box.  Also used a Thermoworks Smoke, with one watching box temp (just in case as the brisket went in at 10:30pm, so nice to have alarms) and the other in the point.  This gave me temps for both portions of the brisket, while controlling the turn down based on the flat temp.  Brisket just fit diagonally, with a little nudging to "shorten" it up.  As another means of remote "watching" I used one of my IP cameras (D-Link provides an app with free web access), so I could check all temps in the middle of the night from my phone, or even if I left the house out for a while.  Will be doing this again.

In at 10:30 pm at 225F
150F IT at 12:30am, so I dropped the box temp to 220F, and turned in for the night
174F at 3:00am (had a high box temp alarm wake me), so I dropped the box temp to 210F
180F at 8:30am (rise and shine), so put temp back up to 220F
Pulled at 10:45 with IT of 190, double wrapped, toweled, and placed in a cooler.  Put my Smoke thermometer back in through the foil, so I could watch temps without opening.
Rested for 2 hours... Amazing!

Now, I won't say that it was the best brisket I've had in my life, but... The flat was what I'd expect from a good BBQ joint, so I was happy.  As I got to the point... I was beyond satisfied!  Moisture content and flavor were both great!

Next time, I may experiment with the suggestion of some on this forum of wrapping at the stall, to maintain some more moisture.  I say "may", because that's extra work, requires opening the box, and I'm not sure how much will be gained, as I wouldn't say the brisket was dry at all.  After all... was a prime cut to begin with.
Chris
Chandler, Arizona
Engineer, Scuba Instructor, International Scout lover, and Smoker
SI 2D

"Take the time it takes.  It takes less time."

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: First Brisket
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:26:44 PM »
Looks good.  So what is going to be your next endeavor!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

chrisjadams

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »
I'm thinking chicken is next, although my wife is ready for salmon.  So... probably salmon!   ;)
Chris
Chandler, Arizona
SI 2D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 05:23:05 PM »
We all answer to a higher authority. The chicken will have to wait. I'm pretty fortunate that butts, brisket and ribs seem to be the go to food around my home.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
I have never heard of a 9 pound packer, so, that's a first for me.  Glad your first go with the new smoker went well.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

chrisjadams

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 05:42:07 PM »
Thanks SuperDave.  I was a bit surprised as well, and first thought it was just a flat.  But... Full it was, so home it went with me!  In hindsight though... bigger will work, and last a bit longer around the house.  Finished yesterday, and will probably be gone by tonight!   ;D
Chris
Chandler, Arizona
SI 2D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »
I made a 17 pound brisket yesterday and might get another sandwich or two out of it after last night's party.  It doesn't last long no matter how big they start out.   ;D
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 06:57:44 PM »
Outstanding, Chris!!  The first is always a good learning experience!  The only thing I would suggest to keep a little more moisture is consider brining your brisket (with my pork butt brine, or another of your choice)...takes brisket up a notch, and NO foil wrapping required!  There are those that promote the foil wrap as the "Texas Crutch" to speed up the stall; I totally disagree!  First, it violates my Lazy Q lifestyle (just too much work for no gain), and I never want to "speed up" the stall...that's when the magic is happening!  Foiling is something devised by the fossil fuel smokers to counter the drying effect of the heat source, which is a problem we don't have!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

chrisjadams

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 07:59:35 PM »
Thanks Tony.  Had considered brining, but now... I'll definitely add that to the next one, and will continue to skip foiling at the stall.  Lazy is good!
Chris
Chandler, Arizona
SI 2D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 07:28:57 PM »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!