Author Topic: Pellet Results  (Read 7030 times)

Alphax

• "Brakes just slow you down..."
Pellet Results
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
Well Ladies and Gentlemen,

The pellets worked amazing in my #2 and everything tastes ridiculously delicious. 

*A little background* For my gas grill we had bought 40lbs of Traeger Pecan Pellets to use in it's smoke box.  Since we we now have our SI (Smokin-It), there is no more need to use the smoke-box on the gas grill so I wanted to try them in my Model #2.  I purchased the "chip screen" https://www.smokin-it.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=chipinsrt and it works like a charm -- no flareups, no foil wrapping and perfect-even-gentle-long-lasting smoke  8) (used 2.5oz for an 11lb brisket).  I can't say enough about how amazing this brisket was... thank you Smokin-It!!!

*BBQ pr0n below* 12 +2 hours resting wrapped in foil in a mini cooler.

Personally, we like our brisket very tender and falling apart.  Then we "chunk it up" and toss it with the smokey-bits and a bit of fat we chop into tiny pieces... Enjoy

-Brian
Model #2

johnnytex

Re: Pellet Results
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »
I was wondering how you got these results.
I have a #3 and spread 2.5 oz. of pellets in the fire box and it smoked like the devil for 45 min. and then went out.
Did you pile them up or something special?

tex
Tex From Ennis, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 10:49:04 PM »
That does seem incredible, Alphax!  2 1/2 oz of wood for an 11 pounder seems pretty light; I normally use 5-6 oz of chunk wood for a piece of meat that big.  Not sure how that little amount of pellets could be "long lasting."  Good question from Tex about your technique - surely you put them in a good pile instead of spreading the pellets out?  I've thought of using pellets, but have had such great success with chunks, I'm hesitant to try chips or pellets. 

Welcome to our little party, and congrats on a successful first pellet brisket!  Looks delicious! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »
I've been curious about the impact of pellets vs. chunks as well.  I was interested in trying some Peterson Pucks but never heard back from their website contact ...

As the old saw goes:  if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I'll be sticking with chunks until I'm feeling frisky enough to take a risk, I suppose.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »
Yep...the jury's still out on pellets - at least for me.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »
I have used pellets in a smoker tube before for great smoked results and now I gotta get me one of those chip screens for my Smokin-It.....gonna toss some Perfect Mix in it and see what happens.......