Author Topic: Maximum temperature setting for the digital models  (Read 2573 times)

dajuice98

Maximum temperature setting for the digital models
« on: January 19, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »
Just want to know the maximum temperature setting for the digital models

Thanks
D.J.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Maximum temperature setting for the digital models
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 02:32:14 PM »
Per the description on the 2D ,  325 degrees. I suggest you look up your model or the model you are considering.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JackT

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:44:28 PM »
The 3D instructions say to not operate over 375. Never have had to go that high, but guess that's the top temp for the 3D.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 04:31:18 PM »
Real curious what the limiting factor is on these things. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

MacDarnell

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:17:30 AM »
Thanks! I'll be taking note of this.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 08:48:55 PM »
Real curious what the limiting factor is on these things.

Not sure what the "actual" limit is on the setting, but do know that Steve really stressed not exceeding 375°.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dajuice98

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 10:43:55 AM »
I am thinking about purchasing a digital model and saw on the website manual not to exceed 375 but wanted to specifically know what’s the maximum temperature setting would be

Not planning on exceeding the 375 just wanted to know the maximum temperature setting from an actual user and not the manual

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 07:14:49 PM »
I am thinking about purchasing a digital model and saw on the website manual not to exceed 375 but wanted to specifically know what’s the maximum temperature setting would be

Not planning on exceeding the 375 just wanted to know the maximum temperature setting from an actual user and not the manual

Hey DA - Welcome to the party!  A little housekeeping first... If you don't mind, head over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about your smoking experience, and what you are looking at.  We also love to see a first name and town in your signature line...we're a lot like family around here!

Now on to your question...  I was involved from start to finish with the development of the D models and the PID controller.  I can tell you that the 375 limit in the manual is there for a reason, not just for "liability" purposes.  If you are using a SI smoker, the idea is low and slow.  The vast majority of smoking should be at around 235 or less.  If you want to cook (notice I don't say "smoke") at temps higher than 375, I suggest you look at another platform.  In my humble opinion, there is really no rational reason to run a SI smoker at a higher temp than 375; you risk damaging the insulation, wiring and electronics.  These smokers are solely designed to be low-temp smokers, not ovens!  Even though we have the best "bang for the buck" in smokers, you wouldn't want to damage it and risk no warranty due to high-temp damage.  ...Just my nickels'-worth of 2¢!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BonaireBBQ

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 02:55:34 PM »
Interesting as I was getting ready to ask similar questions.
Has the High temp warning been changed upward as I recall reading a thread a year ago that it was set around 300F +/- and if the box temp got that high the smoker would shut off.
And that the probe temp cut off was around 200F.
Have these been changed on the newer models as the old high box temp was recommended 325F? On the new 3.5D I got the manual says top temp recommended is 375F and one of the poultry preset smokes shows smoking temp of 350F?

Walt in Bonaire

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
Walt, you are confusing the high temp alarm with the box rating temp.  You can set the high temp alarm to whatever you want.  I believe the PID controllers are now set to 375 from the factory - they were 300 originally (before we knew to change them, in the early days).  Steve had us publish 375 as the max box temp after consulting with the manufacturing facility.
Tony from NW Arkansas

BonaireBBQ

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
Hi Tony

No, I am just trying to find out where the high alarm is set and where the meat probe cut off is set to see if I need to try to change them. I would prefer not to have to try as I have no 5 or 6 year olds handy to fix any thing I mess up trying to do so. That's why I don't play with my phone or computer setting to often.

Thanks
Walt
Walt in Bonaire

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:05:23 PM »
I would prefer not to have to try as I have no 5 or 6 year olds handy to fix any thing I mess up trying to do so. That's why I don't play with my phone or computer setting to often.

Hehe...I hear ya', Walt! 
Tony from NW Arkansas