Author Topic: Smoked prime rib roast dry aged  (Read 4680 times)

Roostershooter

Smoked prime rib roast dry aged
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:06:36 PM »
I am already looking forward to trying this when i can next spring. Snowbird, and leave smoker at home.   I smoked my first prime rib over the holidays and it was awesome to be sure!  I bought the dry aging bags and want to dry age a primal prime rib, cut some steaks for grilling and leave a 7 pound rib roast for smoking.  Has anybody done this?how long did it take in the smoker for a roast that size?  My first prime rib took about 4 hours for a 4 pound roast.  Can i assume an hour per pound for dry aged or something similiar in time for a larger piece of meat?  Thanks!

Walt

Re: Smoked prime rib roast dry aged
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:51:54 PM »
The dry aged will cook faster. Look through the dry age posts for some good detailed info.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Roostershooter

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:27:06 AM »
Ok. I did. No one really talks about how long a aged 7 pound prime rib will take smoking at 200. Mostly just a discussion on steaks. Looking for guidance when I start. Thanks!

Walt

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:58:31 AM »
Check out the post on the 73 day dry aged rib roast. It took 2 hours to reach 125. It was absurdly good!
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Roostershooter

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »
Ok, thanks Walt!  Will do.  That is fast.

Roostershooter

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »
I am thinking the first dry age i do will be somewhere between 21 and 27 days.  So, for planning purposes i should figure that a 7 pound roast should be 130 Internal Temp somewhere between 2 and 4 hours?

Walt

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 08:27:10 AM »
That sounds like a reasonable estimate.

For future planning, the 1st 28 days primarily effects the tenderness. After that, the rich beefy flavor starts to intensify. The longer it ages the stronger that rich beefy flavor becomes.

It's going to be great. Good luck & enjoy.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »
I did a 21 day prime rib, and the tenderness was definitely improved, but there was absolutely no enhancements in flavor as far as I could tell. I would plan on 45 days for flavor, but if you are looking for something by Christmas, get that dry-aging as soon as possible. Every day helps, even if you can't get to 45 days.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Walt

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »
Kari is right. Personally, i dont bother ageing anything anymore if I cant go at least 45 days. That is my low water mark. 60 or 70 is even better. However, It is a great learning opportunity to be able to experience the different stages & confirm what some of us have already learned.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Roostershooter

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
I think i will take your advice on a longer dry age time.  During the dry age in a bag, does it matter if the bones are removed before hand?  It would sure be easier to get a seal on the bag without the bones.

Walt

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »
If dry ageing with the bones, fold a paper towel & moisten it then ring it out & form it over the tips of the bones. This will ensure the bones don't penetrate the bag & cause a leak.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Roostershooter

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
I had read somewhere to cover the bones up.  I think i will just remove them prior to dry ageing.  Thanks!