Author Topic: Turkey in my number 2  (Read 2714 times)

Meaty_Ribs

Turkey in my number 2
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
Hey all,

I am hosting this years Thanksgiving and I wanted to know I can fit 2 14# turkeys in my #2? Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Brian from New Jersey

pargolfr2003

Re: Turkey in my number 2
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 06:15:10 AM »
Brian I also have a #2 and though I haven't tried to fit 2 turkeys in it I would say it's unlikely they'll both fit. Maybe smoke one and roast or fry the other. Having said that, give it a try. If they both fit I definitely want to see a pic!
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:02:27 AM »
I also have a #2 and feel that if you can get both of them in, it would restrict the airflow required for a good smoke. Having made that comment, I have never tried to smoke two at the same time. A report from your smoke will be greatly appreciated.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »
My concern would be that if they did fit, the bottom turkey would be right on top of the wood box and too much direct heat.  Turkeys don't take very long to smoke and doing one at a time would be achievable on Thanksgiving Day. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »
As a #2 owner that has done a single turkey a few times, I'm going to go with the others and say that you *might* be able to shove two of them in there and that it's not recommended.  If I were set on trying it then I would spatchcock them so that they can both sit higher up in the smoker.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Meaty_Ribs

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 01:31:58 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. So I have decided to roast one and smoke one. Also does anyone put curing salt in the brine for the turkeys?
Brian from New Jersey

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. So I have decided to roast one and smoke one. Also does anyone put curing salt in the brine for the turkeys?

No, no reason to put curing salt in the brine for whole smoked turkey for Thanksgiving. I have used curing salt in my brine for turkey breast that I smoke, and slice super thin for sandwiches, because I want it to have a "cured hammy" taste, and a nice pink color. But for Thanksgiving whole turkey, no. BTW, one smoked and one roasted is a great way to offer turkey on Thanksgiving. Everyone can have a little of both, or their choice.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide