Author Topic: Brining Wet-Aged Brisket  (Read 1992 times)

JeffroTull

Brining Wet-Aged Brisket
« on: October 12, 2017, 07:04:34 PM »
Got a full brisket from a butcher friend of mine. He wet-aged it for just over a month.  Would this change anyone's opinion on brining the meat too?

JustChillin

Re: Brining Wet-Aged Brisket
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »
I have a choice packer sitting in brine tonight. Will do a dry rub and smoke it tomorrow night for Saturday FB games. Your brisket sounds wonderful. I hope you get some good suggestions regarding brining and smoking it. Be sure to share the experience.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
I don't brine non aged brisket.  I'm guessing that you are starting with a piece of meat that has already started to breakdown and will be very tender.  Just pay close attention to it so you don't over cook it and you will be fine without brining. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 03:53:59 AM »
I definitely would not brine a wet-aged brisket. It should have good flavor and texture from the wet-aging. I wouldn't want to mess with that by adding another process without evaluating it on it's own first.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide