Author Topic: Smoked chicken  (Read 3307 times)

shrews824

Smoked chicken
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:46:28 AM »
Decided to smoke another whole chicken (~5.6lbs.) this weekend on the #2.
Rubbed with vegetable oil and then added rub.  Really simple.
Smoked at 225 with hickory wood chunks for 3 hrs. 55 minutes. 
Let rest for about 20 minutes in aluminum foil.
Best bird we've done yet.

Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Smoked chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 12:23:19 AM »
Smoked chicken is one of my favorites. Short smoke, not much prep required for great results. Something that can be done same day.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »
Did you brine it first? That adds another layer of flavor and helps keep it moist.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »
Brining is preferred, but if you can find quality "air-chilled" whole chickens like from Bell & Evans, you can get away without the brine. My small local market one block away carries Bell & Evans chicken. Perdue might also offer air-chilled. Most commercial chickens (Tyson, Gold'n'Plump) are "water-chilled" in a big bath of bleach and other undesirable stuff. Those need some help, by brining to correct the water-chilling bath, and flavor. If you care about that, check your chicken brand online, or ask the butcher (these days, there are very few butchers who know any of this stuff, so don't automatically believe your chain grocery meat guy who comes out from the back).
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

shrews824

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:59:25 AM »
Smoked chicken is one of my favorites. Short smoke, not much prep required for great results. Something that can be done same day.

For sure.  I love doing chickens.  Like you said, fairly short smoke and everyone seems to really like them.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

shrews824

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 08:00:20 AM »
Did you brine it first? That adds another layer of flavor and helps keep it moist.

No, I didn't brine.  Never have with my chickens.  They always seem to turn out pretty well.  Maybe I'll try to brine the next one and see how it turns out.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

shrews824

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 08:02:45 AM »
Brining is preferred, but if you can find quality "air-chilled" whole chickens like from Bell & Evans, you can get away without the brine. My small local market one block away carries Bell & Evans chicken. Perdue might also offer air-chilled. Most commercial chickens (Tyson, Gold'n'Plump) are "water-chilled" in a big bath of bleach and other undesirable stuff. Those need some help, by brining to correct the water-chilling bath, and flavor. If you care about that, check your chicken brand online, or ask the butcher (these days, there are very few butchers who know any of this stuff, so don't automatically believe your chain grocery meat guy who comes out from the back).

Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to do some research on the chickens we get.  We buy from several different places since the town I live in has such a limited selection.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2