Author Topic: Smoking Turkey #1  (Read 2765 times)

yourlaw

Smoking Turkey #1
« on: September 28, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »
Has anyone tried smoking a turkey in a #1? Obviously it would have to be a small turkey or by breaking up a bigger turkey.  I've only had my smoker a week and am trying to figure out if I can do the bird on Thanksgiving.  I have loved it so far I've done ribeye, pork chops and ribs.  If anyone has experience with turkey, I would love to hear the process.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Smoking Turkey #1
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »
Has anyone tried smoking a turkey in a #1? Obviously it would have to be a small turkey or by breaking up a bigger turkey.  I've only had my smoker a week and am trying to figure out if I can do the bird on Thanksgiving.  I have loved it so far I've done ribeye, pork chops and ribs.  If anyone has experience with turkey, I would love to hear the process.

I did a turkey in my #1 for Thanksgiving last year! And many other times besides that. Your want your turkey to be about 14 pounds or less. Because 1) that's what will fit in the #1 and 2) that's the largest size recommended for smoking in general (because you are smoking at a lower temperature than you would roast in the oven), and you don't want poultry to spend too much time in the "danger zone" (temps below 140). A 14 pound turkey should feed 8-10 people or more, depending on how much they fill up on sides. If you need more than 14 pounds, you could spatchcock two smaller turkeys and lay them flat on the racks, rotating the racks halfway through. Check out the poultry section on the forum. Lots of advice and techniques. Brining is a must in my opinion. And place on the rack with the back side down/breast up. Have a meat thermometer and make sure it doesn't go any higher than 165 in the breast. Other than that, seasoning, filling the cavity, etc. can vary and are all up to you.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:06:48 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 02:59:55 PM »
If you go to the poultry forum you will find several turkey threads.  Start with brining overnight then seasoning before putting in the smoker.  For the size of turkey that we talk about fitting in the SI, expect about a  5 hour total smoke time at 250 degrees, give or take. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

raymillsus

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »
So I have read to only brine a fresh turkey and supermarket turkeys are already brined and never brine them. Are we talking Fresh turkeys here? Or have I bought Snake oil all these years.

-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:29:48 PM »
I have been brining the so-called "pre-brined" or "injected" or "salt solution added" turkeys for 20 years. The "common thinking" says that they will be too salty if you brine them. I have never found that to be the case. It's all about equilibrium. Ignore that stuff, and brine them all. If you find your turkey turns out too salty for some reason, then don't do it anymore, but it's worth the risk to find out, rather than settle for bland turkey your whole life because of opinion which is based on probability, but not necessarily experience.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

raymillsus

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »
I have a great recipe that I use (not brined) and it is far from Bland. But I am always looking for new and different, and hopefully better ways to do things.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

yourlaw

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 12:45:36 PM »
I will check out the poultry section thank you!