Author Topic: Chuck Roast in the 3D  (Read 4992 times)

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
Chuck Roast in the 3D
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:21:23 AM »
Tonight I did a 2.35 lb Chuck Roast from the local grocery store.  I used EVOO as a binder and kept seasoning simple and used garlic powder and Lawry's season salt. I used around 2 oz of hickory.  Cooked at 195 to an internal temp of 135 which took about 4 hours.  I went under 200 for the cook temp so it took longer and could break down all of the fat in the roast. May let it get to the 145-150 range next time as this was a little chewy.  Fair warning cutting one of these up for sandwiches is a pain since the grain changes so much.  But totally worth it when put on French bread with provolone cheese, fried onions, and butter.  I need to get a better knife for slicing so I can cut meat thinner.  I'll definitely be doing this again as I love a good beef sandwich and this has to be my favorite I've made thus far!  Two cooks in on my 3D and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.  This whole Lazy Que thing is easier then I thought and tastes fantastic!
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?

JustChillin

Re: Chuck Roast in the 3D
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »
Nice job! The Lazy Q approach to smoking makes life so much easier. I am planning to do a twice smoked bone in ham this week. Approx. 14 lbs of delicious ham to be used for sandwiches and and ham biscuits for breakfast.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:41:11 AM »
Chuck roast is usually a cook it to death cut of meat, i.e. pot roast.  I smoke them for a couple of hours and then braise them until they are fall apart texture. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

t-motheviking

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 11:09:41 AM »
That sounds really good!  Ham is definitely on my list as well in the near future

Yeah I usually do my crock pot for at least 12 hours when I do pot roast and just eat it like a stew.  May have to give the braising a try.  I'll admit to having different taste buds then most people and the way this beef came out wasn't far off from how I like it.  I just need to learn to cut it thinner haha I was surprised at how well the fat broke down though in just four hours.
Smokin-It Model 3D

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
I just need to learn to cut it thinner

Yeah, it probably was pretty chewy with slices that thick. You might consider a Victorinox Fibrox 12" Granton Edge slicing knife, or an electric slicer. Or maybe even an electric knife. Slicing it hot would probably work best with the Victorinox knife.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFDB9/ref=asc_df_B0000CFDB95164841/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0000CFDB9&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167125544335&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15892442859300657210&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018949&hvtargid=pla-308257220842

It's a little more challenging to get super thin slices with an electric knife, but I love mine for brisket, turkey breast, etc. Also, an inexpensive electric slicer works best with cold meat when you want really thin slices. I have a Chef's Choice that does just fine for home use. You might also consider cuts from the Sirloin or the Round. I'm not a big fan of any of the cuts from the round, they are pretty lean, and I prefer a little more fat, but they do smoke up and slice nice for sandwiches. A few other cuts you might want to try for medium-rare thin-sliced sandwiches, in order of preference would be Top Loin Roast, Sirloin Roast, Top Round, Bottom Round, Eye Round.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

t-motheviking

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 01:06:14 PM »
Ha that would be the knife I'm looking at.  I don't like electric knives.  Used to have one for fish and just didn't like it.  Hopefully within the next year I can get a meat slicer but for now it's not in the cards.  We've got a bunch of different cuts that fall under the Chuck Roast category at the local grocery store.  I forget exactly which one this was but they label all of them and then include Chuck Roast in the name so I'm going to try all of them and see which one I like best for what.  The one I did this weekend is typically my favorite in the crock pot because of all the extra fat.  Next time I will probably choose a slightly leaner roast and see how that goes.  I'm with you on certain roasts being too lean.  I don't want my steak that lean so neither should my roast!
Smokin-It Model 3D

SconnieQ

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
Ha that would be the knife I'm looking at.  I don't like electric knives.  Used to have one for fish and just didn't like it.  Hopefully within the next year I can get a meat slicer but for now it's not in the cards.  We've got a bunch of different cuts that fall under the Chuck Roast category at the local grocery store.  I forget exactly which one this was but they label all of them and then include Chuck Roast in the name so I'm going to try all of them and see which one I like best for what.  The one I did this weekend is typically my favorite in the crock pot because of all the extra fat.  Next time I will probably choose a slightly leaner roast and see how that goes.  I'm with you on certain roasts being too lean.  I don't want my steak that lean so neither should my roast!

Anything labeled "Chuck" is going to come from somewhere on the shoulder. Amongst the most delicious cuts of beef, but can be a bit chewy when cooking medium-rare, because of the really large areas of connective tissue running throughout, which take a long time to convert to gelatin. Even sliced thin, you might experience some gristle. The best way I like to do a chuck roast is to incorporate a 3-4 day sous vide. Medium-rare, and like butter. Some other gadget to consider to complement your smoker. ;D
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

t-motheviking

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 03:26:14 PM »
That makes sense haha I always wondered why different cuts all included Chuck Roast but never thought too much of it.  Oddly enough The fat had really cooked up and gotten very gelatinous.  No tough chewy pieces of fat!  Today I reheated in a pan with olive oil and onions for another sandwich for lunch and I was surprised to find that the hickory smoke taste had set in even more and it was possibly better then yesterday!  I wasn't expecting that!  How does more smoke flavor set it in after a night in the fridge?
Smokin-It Model 3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
I was surprised to find that the hickory smoke taste had set in even more and it was possibly better then yesterday!  I wasn't expecting that!  How does more smoke flavor set it in after a night in the fridge?
I believe this to be true of everything you smoke.  I kind of compare it to how spaghetti sauce improves over night.  The flavors seem to permeate deeper into the meat rather than just being on the surface.  Some folks make their smoke a day ahead on purpose so it is at its best when served. 

t-motheviking

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »
I didn't know that!  May have to try that on something sometime.  When you reheat it how do you do it?  And how without further cooking it along and over shooting the target temperature of the meat?
Smokin-It Model 3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
Depends a little on the meat in question but warming pre-smoked meat only has to come up to 140 so no further cooking takes place.  Some use a crock pot, boil in a bag or microwave even works.  There are several threads on the site here about re-warming meat. 

t-motheviking

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »
Awesome I will check those out! Thanks!
Smokin-It Model 3D

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
When you reheat it how do you do it?  And how without further cooking it along and over shooting the target temperature of the meat?

Sous vide is the best method for reheating anything. But it is especially good for things cooked medium-rare, or anything where you don't want to cook it additionally. It does require you to buy a sous vide gadget though.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

t-motheviking

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 06:04:07 PM »
The anova sous vide is on my wish list but it won't happen for a while haha
Smokin-It Model 3D

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
The anova sous vide is on my wish list but it won't happen for a while haha

You will most likely end up reheating things beyond pink then. Not that it will be terrible, it will still probably taste pretty good, but not as great as mid-rare. It's difficult to maintain redness with other methods.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide