Author Topic: Brisket Cravings  (Read 2818 times)

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Brisket Cravings
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:53:31 AM »
I visited Costco recently and for the first time in years they had brisket in stock.  They do seem harder to find here in Canada and since I hit gold, I picked up a few for good measure.

My SI3 was in hibernation for some time and I had the urge to smoke a brisket, so out came my 'Pride and Joy'.

The brisket weighed 9.4lbs and I decided to use the equalization brine method since it has been successful for me every time.  The brisket was in the brine for 24 hours, then a quick rinse, pat dry and applied 'Meatheads Rub'. 

Into the smoker it went at 1:30 AM at 225 degrees with an anticipated smoke time of 14 hours.  With two hours of rest, it should be ready to serve for dinner.  I used 4.5 oz of mesquite wood chunks (I like my smoke on the lighter side) and since I brined I decided not to use an injection this time.  Once the internal meat temp hits 195-200 I will wrap in foul and let it rest for a few hours before serving.

Currently at 8 hours into the smoke, the internal temp is at 159 degrees.  Not all briskets are created equal, but so far I am on target.  Results to follow.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:55:10 AM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

ibbones

Re: Brisket Cravings
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »
Tony, it sounds like a great way to start the day.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

stout

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
great way to end one too

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:30:50 AM »
I took out the brisket when internal temp was at 198 and wrapped in foil to rest for  2 hours   It came out well but a bit dry for my liking.

This brisket from Costco was already trimmed and I would have preferred a bit more fat on it which I believe may have been a factor.

For my next brisket I will try pulling it out at 190 before I wrap.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
It does look a little over-trimmed, from the shape of it. At 9 pounds, quite a bit of fat, and possibly a good portion of the point was trimmed off. Try laying some thick bacon on top on your next one if it looks over-trimmed. Or any kind of fat will work, like slabs of side pork, or salt pork. Not as good as the original fat, but it might help.

I go to 195 in the flat, 200-205 in the point. Since it looks like mostly flat, 198 might have been on the high side, but not that high. Your plan to check it at 190 next time sounds good. It should be floppy. If it's not, put it in for a few more degrees.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 01:52:21 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 10:31:56 PM »
Thanks Kari. Good suggestion on adding the fat back to the equation. It did look like it was trimmed for corned beef but I took a chance anyways.

I will try adding the fat layer back next time as it will definately make a difference.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:33:32 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

es1025

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 05:36:08 AM »
When you wrapped did you use any liquid? I use about 8oz of beer or beef broth. Fat side down to protect the rub.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?