Author Topic: Chicken thighs for my first smoke in my 3D  (Read 3732 times)

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
Chicken thighs for my first smoke in my 3D
« on: September 09, 2017, 01:49:05 PM »
I did chicken thighs for my first smoke in my 3D and they were fantastic! I rubbed em in EVOO and then seasoned with my favorite McCormick maple seasoning. I used a combination of cherry and hickory. Cooked at 250 until internal temp of 165 and it took just over an hour and a half. Can't wait to smoke something else!
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?

stout

Re: Chicken thighs for my first smoke in my 3D
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »
they look great

chicken is great, we like to do quarters, it's quick and good

so what you do is smoke a bunch of chicken and you can eat that while you wait for the butt or a brisket to get done :D

then start the cycle all over again

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »
Looks good! Chicken thighs are one of my favorites. Whatcha smoking for the game on Monday?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

t-motheviking

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »
I haven't decided yet. Thinking maybe a pork loin or chuck roast! You cookin anything for your game?
Smokin-It Model 3D

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 05:28:23 PM »
Tomorrow I'm making Smoked Buffalo Chicken Thighs. Same thing as traditional buffalo wings, except with thighs. Smoke chicken thighs. After smoking, drench in Franks Red Hot and melted butter mixture until sopping (same sauce as traditional buffalo wings). Served with blue cheese dipping sauce with carrots and celery sticks. And creamy dill potato salad. That being said, my favorite game-day smokes are chicken or baby backs for a small crowd. Baby backs, butt or brisket for a large crowd.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:46:52 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

t-motheviking

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 10:26:07 PM »
That's the exact hot sauce my dad and I use when we make hot wings! He usually adds a little lemon juice I only do if I'm with him. Must be a Midwestern sauce thing  ;)  I'm thinking if I have enough people around I'll try pulled pork with the small shoulder roasts that my local (and only) grocery store carries. You can order any cut from them and they'll make it but for starters I'll use the cuts they stock. If I won't have many people around I'll do a chuck roast since it's one of my favorite meals
Smokin-It Model 3D

SconnieQ

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »
That's the exact hot sauce my dad and I use when we make hot wings! He usually adds a little lemon juice I only do if I'm with him. Must be a Midwestern sauce thing  ;)

Frank's Red Hot and butter is the original recipe used by the Anchor Bar and Grill in Buffalo NY, the inventor of buffalo wings. For the blue cheese dip, my absolute favorite is Brianna's Blue Cheese Dressing. It is on the sweet side, so the sweetness balances the spice and vinegar of the Frank's. (I am a fan of sweet and savory.) Cover the chicken/wings in the Frank's/butter mix, then dip each bite in the Blue Cheese dressing. Brianna's is also used as the dip for carrot and celery sticks.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 06:33:25 PM »
Good looking thighs! I love cooking thighs because they stay moist. I use them for the smoker but also for Indian and Thai dishes.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

t-motheviking

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 11:31:12 PM »
huh...learn something new every day!  I had never actually looked up the history of buffalo wings!
Smokin-It Model 3D

Kutch98

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
any recommendations for skinless/boneless thighs? Ive got some Cabela's all purpose rub and Heinz Memphis BBQ sauce on them now.  Was going to use the grill but toying with the idea of using the smoker. 
Jake, Alamogordo, NM/Effingham, IL
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

t-motheviking

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 03:59:55 PM »
keep the wood around an ounce and you should be OK.  I have done a couple of skinless chicken smokes and only used an ounce of mesquite wood chips.  Good smoke flavor but not overpowering.  On skinless chicken I haven't been using any rub just a little salt and some very coarsely ground pepper so you'll have to let me know how the rub works!
Smokin-It Model 3D

Kutch98

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 02:04:16 AM »
Hey sorry for the long delay on the response.  Im not sure how much wood I used.  I found a small chip in the bag of chunks of mesquite and put it in there.  It was a bit much.  But, they turned out pretty good.  I put them in for 45 min then tossed them onto a hot grill. Pretty simple way to add some quick smoke to the meat instead of trying to use a grill top smoker box. The rub and sauce stayed on fairly well as well.  I like the Cabela's rubs that I have so far.
Jake, Alamogordo, NM/Effingham, IL
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married