Author Topic: I have a problem. Well, I'm not sure if I have one just thinking ahead.  (Read 2207 times)

polarlys

I recently ordered a 3d smokin-it smoker.  I was planning to be on the road for a month or so and at the time of the order I asked that it  be held and shipped several weeks later with an anticipated delivery date of 12 September.  Steve e-mailed me with a confirmation.   Anyhow,   someone jumped the gun and shipped early.   It arrive on my doorstep and sat there for an unknown amount of time but during that time it rained and the box got wet.   A friend saw it and brought it inside for me so it's safely indoors as I write this.   I wrote to Smokin-it with a question regarding the packing and asking for an assurance that it's packed well enough that the electronic parts are packed and protected.   I have gotten no response yet and will not be home for several weeks yet. 

Has anyone else been through this dilemma ???    I see no issues with the unit in general of course but perhaps with the electronic controls.   Hopefully this is a non-issue but I'll see when I get home I guess.

Thanks all,
Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: I have a problem. Well, I'm not sure if I have one just thinking ahead.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »
It's double boxed... can't remember if it's wrapped in plastic.  I think you'll be fine.  I'm pretty sure Steve will take care of you otherwise.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 01:19:45 PM »
The smoker is double boxed but the smoker is not wrapped in plastic. You could have your friend un-pack the unit and set it somewhere safe if you are concerned about the electronics (save all packaging!).  This will allow any trapped moisture to escape/evaporate. But the unit is well sealed and the controller itself is weatherproof.  Coupled with the double boxing I think it well protected. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:42:17 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

stout

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
i would think it would be alright
mine sits outside, with the cover that came with it of course, exposed to the elements since i got it with no problem

and i've used it during hours of rain so it was even more exposed.. with no issues

polarlys

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »
ThanX all for re-inforcing my unease.  I really don't expect there to be a problem but glad to hear from you none-the-less.  Looking forward to getting home next week and getting things started.   Got a few smokin projects in mind already.

ThanX,
Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d