Author Topic: Need help with my big smoke out for this Saturday 8-26  (Read 2200 times)

Meaty_Ribs

Need help with my big smoke out for this Saturday 8-26
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:42 PM »
I have a #16.7 packer brisket, 2 BB 1st #8 & 2nd #9. and I need some help/suggestions for my plan. I have a SI #2 smoker. I plan to brine the 2 butts in DM brine and use a dry rub on the brisket and cram the brisket on the bottom shelf and place the 2 BB on the one of the upper shelves. My party starts at 6pm this Saturday. I'm going to brine the butts around 12-16 hours, use yellow mustard as the binder, and coat them with the recommended Dave's rib rub. As for the brisket I plan on using salt and pepper but I haven't really found a good ratio of black pepper to kosher salt rub. I'm thinking of putting all the meat in the smoker Friday night either at 10pm or 11pm with 6oz of hickory and either beer or water for moisture.

My questions:
Should I cut the packer in half and separate the flat from the point due to the tight fit in my #2?
Does anyone have a good rub for the brisket?
Should I put the 2nd probe in the #8 or #9 butt?
If I don't split the brisket will my start time of 10 or 11 be enough including rest?
Should I double the brine to accommodate 17lbs of pork?
Brian from New Jersey

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Need help with my big smoke out for this Saturday 8-26
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:07:42 PM »
Brian - I doubt if I am going to be much help but maybe some other folks will happen along.  Sizing the brisket to the rack size gives you a couple of options.  First solution is of course separating the flat from the point.   Alternately, you could fold a portion of the flat under itself to fit the rack.  Lastly, cut off only as much flat as required in order to fit the rack but the cut will bleed juices unless you can sear it shut/cauterize it in a very hot skillet.  As for the butts, I recommend having a probe for each but if not, probe the smaller and when done place the probe in the larger.  As for the brine, you can double it or simple flip the butts around from time to time.  Are you planning on injecting your brisket with beef broth?  Just a question.

Your start time is 19 or 20 hours prior to serving. Plenty of wriggle room as sometimes meat finishes sooner or later than planned.  As each piece of meat reaches the desired internal temperature, double wrap in heavy foil, than wrap in a heavy bath towel, and place in a cooler.  You'd be surprised how long the meat can stay very hot.

Lastly, once you have your smoker loaded up, relax.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Meaty_Ribs

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
Thanks Dave. I decided to put all the meat on at 6pm Friday night. As for the brisket, I'm not injecting any liquid into the brisket due to this is my first smoke with my #2. I'm going to use Jeff's rub on my brisket, I'm just not sure how long to let the brisket sit in the fridge with the rub on before putting in the smoker.
Brian from New Jersey

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
Brian,
I usually aim for 8 - 12 hours before smoke time for my pre-rubs.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Meaty_Ribs

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 07:42:40 PM »
SuperDave do you think 6oz of hickory is a good amount for the amount of meat I have??
Brian from New Jersey

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 08:44:35 PM »
I prefer 8 oz. but wood amounts seem subjective.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:02:53 PM »
How did this all go? Sounds like a pretty hefty meat load for the #2, but it should be able to handle it given enough time.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide