Author Topic: First Brisket  (Read 3446 times)

jamiedolan

First Brisket
« on: August 20, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
I got my first brisket from Costco yesterday.  I've chatted with a person who gave me some suggestions on a rub. 

They suggested I do 225 degrees until 200 degrees, then let rest in a cooler for a couple hours. 

Does this sound like a reasonable approach in a Smokin-it?  I'm sure they are using a different smoker.

Is brisket forgiving enough that I can stretch out the time?  I'd like to put it in tonight and have it read for dinner tomorrow.  I do this all the time with pork.  I even push pork to 36 hours at times.

Thanks so much.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: First Brisket
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 03:49:52 PM »
Do not go crazy trimming it, I cook Brisket and butts at 205 for 18 hours. Check it after 18, you can temp it if you want but picking it up one handed in the middle will tell you more. I have seen many briskets that temp 200 but are still rubber. The meat should hang from either side of you wand and have a firm jiggly texture. You should be able to force a stiff finger through it if you wanted.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jamiedolan

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »
Thank you.  So bottom line is, if it's still firm, it needs more time? 

Should it feel a lot like a pork butt roast when done? 

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »
Yes
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jamiedolan

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 07:12:01 PM »
Going slow, I'm at almost 24 hours and still at an internal temp of 181.

I started at a bit over 200 and moved it up a couple times during the day today, at 240. 

It was pretty soft when I checked it earlier it seemed.

Was hoping to have this ready for dinner in 2 hours. 

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
Agree, do not over-trim. I put temp probes in the flat, and also in the point. My goals are 195 in the flat, and 200-205 in the point. Find a balance between those, take it out, double-wrap in foil, and rest in a cooler with towels from 2-6 hours. Going by feel is good once you have some briskets under your belt, and you know what to look for, and feel for. If you do not have those years of experience, go by temp.

24 hours sounds like a pretty long time for your 16 pound brisket, assuming you probably trimmed a scant 2 pounds of fat off of it. Briskets generally take 1 to 1.5 hours per pound at 225 (you mentioned you were cooking at 200, so that would explain the increased time).
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jamiedolan

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:17:18 AM »
So we pulled it when the probe that was in the largest part of the meat was around 198.  It was pretty good.  It was different than I expected, more like pulled pork in texture.  When I had looked up pictures of brisket, it looked more like you sliced it, I didn't expect it to be so pullable like pork.

Overall positive experience.  It is a HUGE piece of meat.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:43:09 AM »
Jamie,
How long did you let it rest before trying to cut?  I've noticed that if I don't allow the meat to rest and somewhat firm up it tends to fall apart during slicing. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jamiedolan

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
It tooks so much longer to cook that expected, that it barely sat an hour. 

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
I've had mine nearly fall apart even after sitting for several hours.  I usually save a good size chunk for immediate consumption and then cut the rest into chunks that I vac-seal and freeze for future use.

It tooks so much longer to cook that expected, that it barely sat an hour.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 03:55:27 PM »
So we pulled it when the probe that was in the largest part of the meat was around 198.  It was pretty good.  It was different than I expected, more like pulled pork in texture.  When I had looked up pictures of brisket, it looked more like you sliced it, I didn't expect it to be so pullable like pork.

Overall positive experience.  It is a HUGE piece of meat.

You might want to try testing your temperature probe to make sure it is accurate. Drop the tip into boiling water, and it should register 212.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide