Author Topic: First Brisket- advice?  (Read 2748 times)

VermontCharlie

First Brisket- advice?
« on: August 09, 2017, 03:57:35 PM »
Hi.  I've done a fair amount of pork and salmon in my #2, but am trying my first brisket.   Got about a 7lb. flat, Choice Grade at Costco- didn't have the whole packers.   I was looking at some other web sites where they consistently recommended a foil wrap at some point.   But I believe they are referring to using more standard charcoal or pellet type smokers.   

From reading on the SI forum, it sounds like the foil wrap is not recommended, or needed?  Particularly as it is just the flat, I don't want to see it get too dry.  But using these type of smokers (SI), should I expect it to stay moist enough without the wrap?

If not, that would be great.  I am all for a better bark, and less work!   Also, the other sites recommended going to an internal temp. of around 205 and then wrapping and resting.  From reading the forums here, besides sounding like the 'feel' may be more important then the internal temp, I am reading that maybe an IT of 195 would be better, especially for a flat?   Is that correct?
Thanks in advance!
Charlie

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: First Brisket- advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »
Charlie,
A flat tends to start dry and finish dry.  I inject and foil wrap.  Since this is your first brisket, consider it a learning process and wait for a whole packer next time.  As for being done, start toothpick testing at 190 - 195.  The toothpick should go in and come out with no tug.  If it isn't done, just shut the door and re-test every 20 minutes or so. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 08:45:17 PM »
Since you have just the flat, and it is Choice, wrapping with foil at around 155 or so might be a good idea. It will have taken on as much smoke as it's going to by the time it reaches 155. For a flat, I would recommend a final temperature of 195-200. Check at 195 and see if it is tender and floppy. Really important to rest a flat after smoking. Double wrap in foil, covered in towels (in a cooler if you have one) for at least 1 hour, 2 is even better.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

VermontCharlie

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »
Thanks for the above replies and advice.
I started cooking the flat this morning at 8:30, temp. at 225, and it has hit 160 in under 3 hours.   That seems fast, doesn't it?
I am slightly confused, if the point of a foil wrap is to keep it moister, or help with the 'stall'.  Seems it is cooking fast enough, I wouldn't want to speed it up any further by wrapping.  Thoughts on being a good idea to still wrap it to keep from being dry, or just let it go? 
I'll have plenty of time to rest it at this rate!       Thanks for the further advice.

Walt

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
You are about to hit the stall. Brisket IT's experience a very fast initial rise followed by a long slow completion.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 12:28:55 PM »
You will achieve faster cook time and more moisture with the foil wrap.  My recommendation for a brisket flat would be to make French dip sandwiches so that the you don't realize the dryness, which you are likely to have in either case of how you choose to finish.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »
The initial temp does rise fast.You can keep letting it go without wrapping. There is no exact temperature to wrap. You can let it spend some time in the stall, then wrap. Flats can be tricky. Maybe wait until it's 175-180 to wrap. Even if you don't wrap, make sure to give it a good long rest (at least an hour, two is better) double wrapped in foil, and towels, in a cooler if possible.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

VermontCharlie

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »
That makes sense.... heating up that quickly, before reaching the stall.  I'm going to wrap it, and I should have adequate time to give it a good, long rest when it is done.
I did a dry brine with some salt last night, and injected it and then put a rub on this morning.

Let you all know how it turns out.   Thanks again for the help.

VermontCharlie

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 12:01:20 PM »
Turned out well, I thought. Wrapped it in foil at a temp of about 165, left in a total of almost 10 1/2 hours, let it rest nearly 3 hours.     Not a lot of experience even eating brisket in the past, but the flavor was very good, and it didn't seem dry.  We all enjoyed it, a good first effort.