Author Topic: Bacon wrapped filets?  (Read 2509 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Bacon wrapped filets?
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:27:57 PM »
Anyone tried bacon wrapped filets in soup vide?  My wife stopped by that fancy Aldi's place for the first today and picked up a couple. I thought I would give them a try at 129 for 2 hours.  Any experience or opinions out there?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Bacon wrapped filets?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 09:23:15 AM »
Didn't get to o cook these last weekend. Will try today. Any opinions on cook time/temp?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »
Where is all the souls vide peeps???
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »
I would think the tricky part is getting the bacon crisp without overcooking the steak, but that is also the case even if you don't sous vide. I haven't tried them, but I think you would cook them following a medium rare to rare filet settings (or however you like your steak cooked). Then instead of searing the flat sides of the steak, focus on searing the bacon/sides instead. I've also seen some recipes that sear the bacon before putting into the bath. Let us know how it goes!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 07:46:08 AM »
I ended up doing them at 129 for just over 4 hours (really because I was busy as I was shooting for 2.5).  And then seared them for 35 seconds each side. Yeah, the bacon wasn't crispy. But the flavor was incredible!  Wish I had gotten a picture. I may play with the time next cook, but 4 hours was pretty darned good!
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 12:01:57 PM »
I ended up doing them at 129 for just over 4 hours (really because I was busy as I was shooting for 2.5).  And then seared them for 35 seconds each side. Yeah, the bacon wasn't crispy. But the flavor was incredible!  Wish I had gotten a picture. I may play with the time next cook, but 4 hours was pretty darned good!

That's how I do my ribeye steaks, 129 for 4 hours. I prefer that over the 1 or 2 hour ribeye. I think you did the right thing with the 4 hour. And the bacon would benefit from the longer time.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:29:17 AM »
Kari, I'll try my Ribeyes at 4 hours next time. I have gone 3-3.5 hours in the past and they have been great too.
The Woodlands, Texas