Author Topic: Wood sourcing for smoking meat  (Read 3184 times)

polarlys

Wood sourcing for smoking meat
« on: July 31, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »
Hi all,   Roger here from sunny & warm New Jersey

I'm on the edge and seriously considering the purchase of an electric smoker and like what I see with the
SI models.   Leaning towards the 3d model but haven't taken the plunge just yet.    I've been smoking meat and fish for years with a homemade rig and just think it's time to enter the 20th century.   My current rig uses sawdust and is pretty simple and works well.   I also do some woodworking and have lots of scrap hardwoods, oak, maple, walnut, cherry etc. and am wondering how successful I would be using excess lumber cut into pieces small enough to use in the SI smoke box ???  I also have a lot of cherry sawdust and would like to experiment on using that also.

Thanks all,   Happy SMOKIN
Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

stout

Re: Wood sourcing for smoking meat
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:29:16 PM »
i couldn't say much about saw dust.. worth a try for very low temp smokes i guess but i have no experience with trying it

but the other wood you have, if you know it's not treated in any way and i am guessing you know it's not of course. it would work.. cut in to 1 by 2 inch pieces or so

there is also a favorite of forum members smokinlicious http://smokinlicious.com/index.php?home they provide good wood in good sizes to boot.

i have store bought chunks that i also mix in sometimes

polarlys

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
ThanX Stout.   With my current rig I do both cold and hot smoke with no problem.   With something like the
SI I  think I would work towards using the fine chips or sawdust for cold smoking.  If it doesn't work well enough then I have a lot of cherry sawdust to dispose of.   But if the scrap wood works I'm good for a loooooong time of good smokin.

ThanX,
Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
SI-3d

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
If you want to use scrapwood, then you should probably purchase a moisture meter. They are not terribly expensive on Amazon. Around $20 I think. Some of your scrapwood might be too dry, which will not give you a pleasant flavor if it combusts and burns up too quickly.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »
I don't see the need for a moisture meter.  Most hardwoods have been kiln dried and won't measure up to those that think the moisture is necessary to good smoking.  I commonly smoke with bone dry wood and have learned how to control the combustion.  The big factor would be insuring that the wood wasn't chemically treated. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

polarlys

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »
ThanX all for the input.   Just something to mull over since I have the wood around.   

I hope I'll be joining the SI family soon.   

Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
SI-3d