Author Topic: Bacon - too much heat?  (Read 1936 times)

1Valady

Bacon - too much heat?
« on: July 22, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »
Just tried my first bacon from a wild boar we hunted this spring. Dry cured a 3-lb. belly for 5 days then into the smoker, tried to keep it between 140° and 175°. (The temp. I monitor with the RediCheck thermometer and always notice a big fluctuation.) Took a good 4 1/2 hours to get to 150° internal, but looks partially cooked on the outside. Is this too much heat? Steve Raichlen's guide said 175° for 2-3 hours. Pointers, please!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Bacon - too much heat?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:06:15 PM »
Is that a wild hog belly? Most folks throw out wild hog bellies because they are not very thick. That chunk of meat looks very done. From your comment "tried to keep it between 140° and 175°" I am guessing you kept moving the set temp. You need to set the temp and walk away.

As far a pointers there is and extensive bacon section read some of those posts and see if you have questions.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Bacon - too much heat?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 11:20:23 PM »
Wild boar bacon is going to be a challenge, but it's worth a try. What is all the red "goop" on the belly that I see in the picture? I would think if you cure, cold smoke, then smoke to 150 IT, it should be okay... but probably on the lean and tough side, without much fat, so you'd want to slice really thin. I wonder if it might be more like jerky? You'll notice a big temperature fluctuation in box temp if you have an analog (non "D") model smoker. It's generally not a problem. I successfully make bacon in my #1.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide