Author Topic: wood basket  (Read 2323 times)

thevalkman

wood basket
« on: October 08, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
I love my smoker works better than I had hoped for. The only small complaint I have is if smoking a large brisket having to reload the wood basket. Usually put in one layer at a time but maybe need to put in more. I bought silicone gloves and they work fine and it helps but not having to reload it so much would be nice. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

thevalkman

Re: wood basket
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »
After reading a number of posts I wanted to mention haven't been using wood chunks. Is maybe that my problem?

Walt

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 05:04:32 PM »
For the big smokes, chunos are preferred. I usually mix in some chips to get the smoke rolling earlier.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »
Load with chunks at the specified weight once and you're done.  No need to open the door until your meat is done. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:27:40 PM »
Use chunks for longer smokes. When you refer to the wood "basket", you should not be using the optional chip insert with chunks. With the SI, you should NEVER, EVER have to reload the smoke box. Once everything is loaded initially, keep the door closed till done!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:28:05 AM »
Use chunks for longer smokes. When you refer to the wood "basket", you should not be using the optional chip insert with chunks. With the SI, you should NEVER, EVER have to reload the smoke box. Once everything is loaded initially, keep the door closed till done!
I use the chip screen ALL the time since I don't buy the fancy wood. I think that your advice is wood source specific. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »
I too leave the chip screen in all the time, use big box store wood and never have combustion problems.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 11:07:29 AM »
I too leave the chip screen in all the time, use big box store wood and never have combustion problems.

Yeah, good point you guys. I used to foil boat the big box wood, but the chip screen would work too. I buy the smokinlicious wood now, and I don't think it would burn very well with the chip screen in place.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide