Author Topic: Step in to RG's Sub Shop! Lots'o'pics as expected (Roll recipe within)  (Read 6687 times)

RG

It seems that I went a little overboard this time. Hard to really even apologize because it was indeed premeditated :)

For some reason, every time my wife goes out of town, I cook some really good stuff. I guess it's my way of punishing her, lol! This time I had planned to make a sub. I already had some ham in the freezer from when I cured that pork loin and smoked it not too long ago. I also had some Duroc pork belly bacon curing in the fridge that I smoked yesterday morning. This lead to me buying a turkey breast and brining it and smoking it on the Traeger after the bacon was done. While the turkey was gettin' jiggy with it on the Traeger, I took an Eye of Round that I had marinating in a dry rub overnight in the fridge and threw it on the new toy, the Weber Rotisserie.

Once all meats were done, I vacuum sealed them up (once cooled down) and let them chill in the fridge overnight. After that I made the dough for the sub rolls and let them proof in the garage fridge overnight. I baked off the rolls this afternoon and sliced the meats and put them in the fridge to chill while I shredded a head of lettuce, sliced tomatoes, onions and green peppers. I took out all of the condiments and toppings and made a build your own sub type of deal out of it.

I made mine by not fully splitting the roll and coating both sides of the bread with mayo. Next was 3 slices of Swiss, 3 slices of Provolone, 8 slices of Med Rare Roast Beef, 8 slices of Smoked Turkey Breast, 8 slices of Ham (all were thin but not shaved (super thin), 8 little slices of bacon. Next was zesty dill slices (sandwich stackers), tomatoes, red onions, green peppers, black olives, mustard, lettuce,salt & pepper, oregano, oil and red wine vinegar.

It was hard to fold over but I accomplished it! I was able to eat half and I might take a stab at the other half in a little while, lol!

Take a look at my creation won't you?

Now THAT was a Club Sub! I am biased of course, but this was the best sub I've ever eaten. Too bad it costs about $100 to make, lol! Just kidding, it was a lot more expensive than going to a sub shop would be, but it was a fun project. My son loved it so that made it worth every penny ;)

Thanks for looking :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:08:20 PM by RG »
Jason from Conyers GA

EFGM

Re: Step in to RG's Sub Shop! Lots'o'pics as expected
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:40:10 PM »
And I was going to skip lunch today. Awesome!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »
That's one hell of a sub :)
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
I approve this message! I love making bread! Great post and awesome photos!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
Nice sandwich! I am sure you could have gotten a little more meat in there....  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

drains

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 04:20:28 PM »
Well done! The pics are top notch. Thanks for sharing.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:41:59 PM »
Next time your wife leaves town, let us know. :o Always love your posts RG. I make my own baguettes with KAF, but I doubt if they come close to your sub rolls. Love the elaborate combo of meats and preps.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 07:09:18 PM »
Next time your wife leaves town, let us know. :o Always love your posts RG. I make my own baguettes with KAF, but I doubt if they come close to your sub rolls. Love the elaborate combo of meats and preps.

Thanks Kari! Very kind of you to say ;)

I'll post my recipe for these rolls, they are PERFECT for subs or Philly Steaks. It's a simple dough but the key is to have a sheet pan or cast iron pan on the bottom rack and as you put the rolls in the oven, you add a cup of hot water to the pan to create steam. Makes the dough have a nice texture. It smells divine when baking too! I'll post it once I get it typed up. Might not be tonight though, my wife and daughter are due back in town any minute and the first order of business is to make my wife a sub and catch up with them both :)
Jason from Conyers GA

newuser

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »
Great pics! Super impressed with the length you went for the sandwich to rule them all! Thanks for sharing.
Ted - NC

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 10:22:44 PM »
I'll post my recipe for these rolls, they are PERFECT for subs or Philly Steaks.

I'm thinkin' perfect for Shrimp Po Boys!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

coachB

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 06:44:17 PM »
Jason,
Please post the dough recipe, inquiring minds want to know.  After seeing the pics of your bread baking tray I had to get one.  Arrives by the end of the week.
By the way, the spicy Sicilian pie is terrific.  A real change of pace to my normal New Haven style pie. 
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

RG

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
Will do Coach! Let me locate it and I'll post. Thanks for the compliments as well ;)
Jason from Conyers GA

RG

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »
Funny thing about that pan. I bought the original one as seen in the picture for $29.94 and with shipping it came out to $40.99! This was from Amazon back in Jan of 2015. I paid a good bit for the pan because it had high ratings. There were much cheaper pans but I didn't want cheap, I wanted reliable. I went to Amazon today to check my order history so I could recommend the baguette pan that I had bought and saw that it is for sale now for $12.14 with free Prime shipping! Wow! I bought another one ;)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SZBSUK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jason from Conyers GA

RG

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »
Ok, here's the recipe. It took me a while to type it in Word format so that I could copy and paste here.

Hoagie & Cheesesteak Rolls

Ingredients :
• 5 1/3 cups unbleached bread flour
• 2 teaspoons salt, or 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
• 1 tablesppon sugar
• 1 ½ teaspoons barley malt syrup or ¾ teaspoon diastatic malt powder (optional)
• 1 egg
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 cup lukewarm water
• ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm milk (any kind)
• 2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast

Directions :
In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, salt and sugar together. In a separate bowl, whisk the malt syrup, egg and oil together. Separately, combine the water and milk then whisk in the instant yeast until dissolved.   
Add the oil mixture and the water mixture to the dry ingredients. If using a mixer, switch to the dough hook and mix on the lowest speed, or continue mixing by hand, for 4 minutes to form a coarse ball of dough. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes. Mix for 2 minutes more on medium low speed or by hand with a spoon, adjusting with flour or water as needed. Form the dough into a ball. Transfer the dough to a clean lightly oiled bowl large enough to hold the dough when it doubles in size. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap then immediately put it in the fridge for overnight cold proofing or for up to 4 days.

On baking day remove the dough from the fridge about 2 hours before you plan to bake and transfer it to a lightly floured work surface. Divide the cold dough into 4 ounce (113g) pieces for 7 inch rolls or 8 ounce (227g) pieces for foot longs. Flatten each piece of dough with your hand then form it into a 4 inch torpedo shape, or a 7 inch torpedo shape for foot longs. Let each piece of dough rest as you move on to the other pieces. When you return to the first torpedo, gently roll it back and forth to extend it out to about 7 inches, or 13 inches for foot longs. The roll should have a very slight taper at the ends. Place the rolls on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat with about 2 inches between the rolls (it will take 2 pans if you bake the entire batch). The rolls may shrink back about 1 inch as you pan them. Mist the tops of the rolls with spray oil, cover loosely with plastic wrap then let dough rise at room temperature for about 1 hour.

Remove the plastic wrap from the rolls. Continue to proof the dough for another 15 minutes, uncovered. The dough will rise only slightly – not more than 1 ½ times its original size. Use a sharp knife or razor blade to cut a slit down the center of each roll, about ¼ inch deep and about 3 1/2 inches long (or 8 inches for foot long rolls). Let the dough proof 15 more minutes after you make the cuts. Place a steam pan in the oven on bottom rack below where you'll bake the bread (cast iron, sheet tray, etc) and preheat the oven to 425°.

Transfer the rolls to the oven, pour 1 cup of hot water into the steam pan then lower the oven temperature to 400°. Bake for 10 minutes then rotate the bread pan 180° and bake for another 10-20 minutes until the rolls are a light golden brown and their internal temperature is 190° in the center. Cool on wire rack at least one hour before slicing or serving.

Feel free to substitute whole wheat flour or other whole grain flours for some of the bread flour. If you do so, increase the water by about 1 tablespoon for every 7 tablespoons of whole grain flour you substitute,

**NOTES**   
I use a kitchen aid mixer and I just throw everybody into the pool and mix with the dough hook. I also don’t use the malt syrup, I do however use the malt powder. I also use a baguette pan to bake them on, it works MUCH better than cooking on parchment. The bottom doesn’t get overdone or brown. Stays nice and rounded and soft like it should. This IS the way to make them, bar none. Get yourself a pan! I also don't wait one hour before eating the bread. I put it in front of a fan to cool it down quickly, about 10-15 minutes and you're good to go!

Enjoy this recipe, it's a lot of work but worth it!
Jason from Conyers GA

coachB

Jason,
That Chicago Metallic II for $12.14 (Amazon Prime) is the same one I ordered. Great deal.  I also ordered the Chicago Metallic II French Bread Pan at the same time.  They arrive tomorrow so I think I know what I will be experimenting with this weekend. On another note, I got motivated enough to pull out my "go to" baking bible, "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast" and will attempt some rustic style breads.
Thanks for the incentive. This escapade should be good for at least 10 added pounds.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC