Author Topic: Second try at brisket...getting better  (Read 2365 times)

barelfly

Second try at brisket...getting better
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:36:03 PM »
I gave it another try at brisket. Only the second one I've made and I know it's still not the right size (only 5.6lbs) to really figure this out. But I'm only cooking for my son and I tonight, and then a left overs Sunday night. So, I gave it a try. It was a flat/point market trimmed brisket, slathered with mustard and S/P for 5 hours or so. Then into the 3D at midnight. Pulled it at about 4pm and 196* internal temp. The edges were a little dry on the flat, but overall this was really good. I also made potato salad and beans (canned but doctored up really well) - I used Franklins recipes for the sides.  My son really liked it, I was pleased and am getting more comfortable so I can smoke the Snake River biggin in the freezer!

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Second try at brisket...getting better
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
Nice looking meal Jeremy! Also I find brine and inject makes a bit difference and I pull at 190 if I am going to slice. Just a suggestion.  ;)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »
Well done.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:50:31 AM »
Nice looking meal Jeremy! Also I find brine and inject makes a bit difference and I pull at 190 if I am going to slice. Just a suggestion.  ;)

Thanks Bob. I will try this next time. I brine the beef short ribs, so I can see how it would help. This did seem a little dry on the small flat portion included. I also need to stop buying these smaller cuts. I have a Snake River brisket I am waiting to cook. I'm looking at August to get that thing done!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear