Author Topic: Wood blocks catching fire  (Read 7594 times)

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
Re: Wood blocks catching fire
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
Hi Walt - I remember you talking about your experimenting.  I would be interested in seeing your fire box; maybe others would be as well.

I would love to do that, but my lawyer tells me not to until he gets the patent application filed.  Then after the application is filed and the product is protected my lawyer will gladly show it to you and if you copy it and use it, or sell it, then my lawyer will get to sue you or any other individual or company for patent infringement. :D
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 06:08:04 PM »
 :'(
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »
Anyone have pictures of what the wood should look like after a smoke?  I generally spread 3 pieces evenly the length of the firebox........1 at the front, 1 in the middle and 1 at the back.

I have done smokes where all 3 were nothing but ash, which makes me think they caught on fire and burned up. Other times, I've had one ashy and the others just charred black like charcoal.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 11:54:29 PM »
I would not worry too much about what the wood looks like after a smoke. If you are getting good flavor, be happy and enjoy.  I typically get all ash and once in a while, a lump of charcoal. I worry more about great billows of thick smoke and so far have not had that experience.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 08:17:43 PM »
I almost always get charcoal...  I love it because I wait until I know positively it's out and then throw it into my charcoal bin and use it for grilling.  :)  About the only time it doesn't come out as charcoal is if I leave the door open when I'm done smoking... the residual heat and influx of oxygen will cause it to turn to ash.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »
Thanks LarryD. I've done the foil boats for the last few smokes and am getting charcoal every time. If not in the boat, it's mostly ash.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
The end look of the wood will also depend on the length of the smoke.  Charcoal for ribs and ash for butt and brisket would be normal results.   
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah