Author Topic: Anyone have experience with these Mavrick Temprature probes?  (Read 2404 times)

Ducksoup

Anyone have experience with these Mavrick Temprature probes?
« on: September 10, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »
So with my new little guy, I picked up a Mavrick ET-732.

Seasoned the smoker, then threw some salmon in running the smoker temp around 190. I stuck the food probe in the thickest part of the salmon and after 45 minutes the Mavrick was registering the Seafood at 150 degrees. Thinking that cant be right, I quickly opened the smoker to investigate, and sure enough it was still very raw. I swapped out the probe with the spare they give really fast and it still registers around 150 degrees.

It's been running about 3 hours right now and the food probe bounces around 147 and 153. So I don't know what to believe anymore. I even took one of the probes and did the boiling water test, and it registered fairly accurately.

I've heard that some folks have had inaccuracies with these Mavricks, and I'm wondering if maybe I just got a bad unit, or am I just doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:32:17 PM by Ducksoup »

Walt

Re: Anyone have experience with these Mavrick Temprature probes?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »
I hotsmoke salmon @ 180 & it usually takes 45 minutes to 1 hour to reach an IT of 135 (moist & flakey). Can't help with the Maverick.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 06:30:15 PM »
Take the salmon out. Like Walt, smoking salmon at 190 (I use 180) usually takes less than an hour (or up to 1.5 hours depending on thickness, etc.) to reach 135 internal temperature. If you are going on 3 hours...it's more than done! Your probe sounds correct... registering the internal temp at 150 after 45 minutes smoking at 190. First of all, 150 IT is too high. What is your judgement of "raw"? Everyone has ideas of what "cooked" salmon is. 135 is my recommended temp, but I often go only to 130. It might seem raw, but salmon will continue to cook after you remove it. Take it out, let it rest. If after resting, if it still seems raw, it's got enough smoke. You can add cook to it by putting back in the smoker, or putting in the oven, or in a pan. But I'd be surprised if it didn't flake without additional cooking. Properly cooked salmon should just barely "flake", and should be soft and juicy, not firm.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:32:07 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Ducksoup

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:53:45 AM »
Gotcha,

Yeah the meat just looked very raw, but then again this is my first time smoking fish...So it's a learning experience.

It was a bit overdone after the 3 hours. (Still very tasty)

I think next time I'm going to smoke at a lower temp and try again.

Appreciate the advice!

es1025

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:07:17 PM »
I would invest in a chef alarm probe by thermoworks. A bit pricey but very reliable and durable.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

JustChillin

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »
I agree with the Thermoworks recommendation. Their products are pretty reliable. I cooked salmon this weekend on a grill (away from home) and was very careful to not overcook it. While a little to the rare side, everyone said that it was the best salmon that they had ever had. IMO, overcooked salmon is just not good (same with Tuna and most seafood).
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.