Author Topic: 1st Smoke Tomorrow - 2 Whole Chickens on SI #2  (Read 2628 times)

Triggerpresser

1st Smoke Tomorrow - 2 Whole Chickens on SI #2
« on: May 13, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »
I have two chickens (one about 5.2 lbs and the other just under 4 lbs) that I have rubbed and injected with apple juice and a little bourbon mixed.  I plan to set the temp at about 235 and go for an internal temp of about 168.  My question is: what racks should I use and will it matter which bird goes where.  Also, about how long should I anticipate it taking to reach the internal temp in both birds?
Phil from NC - NRA Endowment Member

Airchair

• Court
Re: 1st Smoke Tomorrow - 2 Whole Chickens on SI #2
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »
Hi Phil....welcome to the SI family. I have three smokes under my belt with chicken. I can tell you that my family absolutely loves the smoked chicken. Not to mention there are endless amount of recipes for the left overs.
Smoke time in the 3D is roughly 3 hours. With regards to placement I like putting birds as high as possible and bigger bird over the the hottest part of the element.
Just a side note I follow the lazy Q recipe to a tee. It is fool proof

Good luck
Court
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

Triggerpresser

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
Thanks Airchair.  I am about to get it started now.  Guess I'll know how it comes out in 3-4 hrs.  Looking forward to learning more about smokin and the overall process.
Phil from NC - NRA Endowment Member

ibbones

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
Thanks Airchair.  I am about to get it started now.  Guess I'll know how it comes out in 3-4 hrs.  Looking forward to learning more about smokin and the overall process.
Well...how did it come out?
Bet it was good.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Hulk

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »
Hope they came out good. When doing two chickens in the #2 I put the smaller one as high as possible and the larger one just below. I've found offsetting them so they are not directly above/below each other makes a huge difference in the consistency of the finished product. Good luck and enjoy.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States