Author Topic: Sous vide containers- lessons learned  (Read 2060 times)

prudentsmoker

Sous vide containers- lessons learned
« on: July 02, 2017, 09:36:05 PM »
I had an old Omaha Steaks Styrofoam shipping container (11X17X13) I decided to see if I could make into a sous vide container. I had a 2 ½” hole saw and put a hole in the lid with it. It worked just fine. I wanted to make sure it could handle at least 150 degrees, so I ran it for an hour (over the sink) with no ill side effects. Just out of curiosity, I decided to see how long it would retain heat. I unplugged the Anova and after one hour it had only lost 2.1 degrees! I then compared it to the Coleman cooler (9X19X13) that Anova had suggested would work and I have used a lot in the past. It lost 4.6 degrees. The difference is that the Coleman one cost $19 at Menards and the Omaha Steaks one was free in that I got a gift package for Christmas.
I still have the acrylic (?) one I got from Amazon for $50 which I will use for the few things I cook at 190, but wondered if anybody knew if the styrofoam could handle 190.
Thanks in advance.
Brian from Wichita

Durangosmoker

Re: Sous vide containers- lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »
I don't see why not. People drink tea from styrofoam cups, and that is made with boiling water and a tea bag. Besides, your food doesn't come in contact with the water in the container, so if it is chemicals leaching into the water you are worried about, it is a non-issue. If you are concerned that it might melt, I just googled "melting point of styrofoam", and wikipedia tells me that it is aprox 240 degrees C (or 464 degrees F). It will vary a bit depending on the exact chemical makeup of the item, but these are the ballpark numbers.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

prudentsmoker

Re: Sous vide containers- lessons learned
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:43:25 PM »
I was just concerned with the melting point and was not smart enough to Google it. Thanks for sharing.
Brian from Wichita