Author Topic: First Beef Brisket  (Read 3026 times)

Buck

First Beef Brisket
« on: April 25, 2017, 08:46:09 PM »
6.5-7 outta 10

good taste w just S&P
moderately undercooked

Specs...
2.2 lbs micro brisket
yellow mustard, salt and pepper
5.5 hrs until temp hit 168F
wrapped in pink paper with honey, olive oil, rub
1.75 hours until temp hit 198F
1 hour rest in pink paper room temp

Pretty good but next time will adjust to pull off at 165F and wrap in pink paper then back on until 205F.  I think those tweaks along will get me a more tender brisket
Buck
Chicago, IL

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: First Beef Brisket
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »
When you say undercooked are you saying it was tough? Out were you looking a juicy fall apart but had to resort to slicing?
I always let my briskets rest in double wrapped heavy duty foil,  followed by wrapping in a towel, then placing in a cooler till serving time. Some folks brine, I do not.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:42 PM »
Buck, don't aim for a temperature to pull it out. They are done when they are done. Do the toothpick test when they start hitting about 195. It is done when the toothpick goes in and out with no tension.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Buck

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:16:24 AM »
When you say undercooked are you saying it was tough? Out were you looking a juicy fall apart but had to resort to slicing?
I always let my briskets rest in double wrapped heavy duty foil,  followed by wrapping in a towel, then placing in a cooler till serving time. Some folks brine, I do not.

By undercooked I meant a little too TOUGH...not bad by any means...but I think maybe even as little as 30-60 minutes longer in the smoker would have yielded a more break apart easily pulled apart brisket
Buck
Chicago, IL

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:23:12 PM »
Buck, small pieces of meat can be very difficult, and can be hard to keep moist. 2.2 pounds is really tiny for a brisket, and at that size, it means it is a piece of "flat", which can be dry at that size. Also at that size, it is likely USDA Select, which is quite lean. Stick to USDA Choice or Prime for smoking, and if possible, smoke a whole Packer brisket (Costco has great whole Prime Packers 13-18 pounds at a great price). The leftovers freeze great! I know it took me a while to get over my fear of large pieces of meat. But they are economical, and the quality is much better.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Boone

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 08:20:04 AM »
I do the same as SuperDave. Once the IT gets to 195 I check for tenderness every half hour until the toothpick goes in with no resistance.
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle