Author Topic: apple brined sugar maple chicken quarters  (Read 2756 times)

stout

apple brined sugar maple chicken quarters
« on: March 31, 2017, 03:47:35 PM »
just put on some chicken quarters that came out of the apple juice brine

decided to try something a little different.. so very very lightly brushed on some maple syrup and the "rub" was really just some garlic powder and salt

smoking over sugar maple

volscrazy65

Re: apple brined sugar maple chicken quarters
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:02:22 PM »
How did they turn out?
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

stout

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:11:36 AM »
they came out great.. to be honest i could of been more heavy handed on the maple syrup and probably will be next time.. not a ton more though

but yeah they were great a real big hit

we took a couple and broke them up in to a cheese potato carrot onion casserole also .. just can't go wrong with them

volscrazy65

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »
I've got a couple questions for you stout.  I'm new to this and only done one smoke with a pork butt.  I want to try some chicken thighs my wife has in the freezer.  I'm guessing you used a probe on the quarters.  How do you use the probe on something like thighs and stay away from bone?  Do you just go by the one that has the probe, so when it's done, the rest are ready too?  Or use one of those little hand held probes to check them all?  Silly questions probably but I'm such a newb  to all this.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

stout

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 06:40:47 PM »
I've got a couple questions for you stout.  I'm new to this and only done one smoke with a pork butt.  I want to try some chicken thighs my wife has in the freezer.  I'm guessing you used a probe on the quarters.  How do you use the probe on something like thighs and stay away from bone?  Do you just go by the one that has the probe, so when it's done, the rest are ready too?  Or use one of those little hand held probes to check them all?  Silly questions probably but I'm such a newb  to all this.

honestly on smaller stuff like quarters i don't use the probe at all.. i set to 250 and let them stay in for 4 hours .. and i would suggest you do just that.. the 4 hour mark has worked out perfectly for me.. you might find you want to do them longer or less depending on the peculiarities of your smoker.. they are all bound to be a little different from each other as are our tastes. i usually do two trays of quarters when i do them and like everything else i smoke in there i put it as high in the box as i can

volscrazy65

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »
That sounds a lot easier.  Do you put the quarters into a cold smoker or preheat it?  Do you use the recommended 2 to 2.5 oz of wood?  I like it to be pretty smokey tasting.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

stout

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 07:32:19 PM »
i put them in a cold smoker, should of mentioned that sorry, in they go then on it goes.

i probably use closer to 3.5 give or take a little .. that's one of the great things about the smokin it.. it is very easy to tinker with the smoke.. little more little less .. different types mix and match whatever.. with out having to have a giant woodpile