Author Topic: Ideas for leftovers  (Read 2167 times)

JustChillin

Ideas for leftovers
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
The other week I had some leftover smoked salmon and used it in an a dish. Made a basic cream sauce (similar to an Alfredo) that included some sauteed green onions and chopped artichoke hearts (frozen). When the sauce was basically ready I added the crumbled smoked salmon and tossed in some artichoke ravioli. Served topped with fresh ground pepper and grated parm. Got rave reviews. I am always looking for ways to create interesting meals with leftovers from the smoker besides chili and stew. Please share.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Ideas for leftovers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »
Dirty Fries is probably my favorite.  I make garlic fries and cover with either chopped brisket or pulled pork.  Then you cover that with grated cheese and put under the broiler.  When the cheese is melted, drizzle with BBQ sauce or aioli. 

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
The other week I had some leftover smoked salmon and used it in an a dish. Made a basic cream sauce (similar to an Alfredo) that included some sauteed green onions and chopped artichoke hearts (frozen). When the sauce was basically ready I added the crumbled smoked salmon and tossed in some artichoke ravioli. Served topped with fresh ground pepper and grated parm. Got rave reviews. I am always looking for ways to create interesting meals with leftovers from the smoker besides chili and stew. Please share.

This sounds like a cool idea. I have some smoked White Bass in the freezer that I might try this on.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 05:04:23 PM »
This is my favorite Winter time salmon recipe:

Smoked Salmon with Linguine & Vodka Sauce
Perfect Marinara:
3 Tbsp olive oil
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
28 oz. Crushed tomatoes
1 oz. tomato sauce
Fresh basil, 1 handful – torn
Healthy pinch of red pepper flakes
Kosher salt to taste

Sautee garlic with pepper flakes for about 6 minutes, until golden.
Add crushed tomatoes, torn basil and salt.
Simmer for 20 – 25 minutes to reduce.

Vodka Sauce:
4 shallots finely chopped
3 Tbsp butter
1 ½ cup heavy cream
½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup Vodka
Healthy pinch of red pepper flakes
Kosher salt to taste

Sautee shallots in butter about 3 minutes and add the rest of the ingredients.  Stir on medium heat until parmesan cheese is fully incorporated. 
Mix both sauces together.  Toss with cooked linguine noodles.  There will be a fair amount of extra sauce leftover.

Smoked Salmon:
1/4 lbs smoked salmon per intended servings.
Add crumbled salmon to noodle and sauce dish.  Garnish with parmesan cheese or herbed feta and some chopped cilantro per serving. 

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah