Author Topic: Favorite Knives  (Read 5347 times)

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
Favorite Knives
« on: January 29, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
Curious as to what folks like to use as far as knives for there cooking .... I cant be the only one who loves shopping for them....lol
I have had great luck with the Dexter Sani Safe line. Good quality and pricing, holds edge well. What's everyone else using?
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Favorite Knives
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »
Cutco, but I'm sure the daggers will be out on that choice:)

Easy to find not so new, factory free sharpening!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 08:43:36 PM »
I think you might want to consider different brands for different knives in your collection, but as an all around recommendation for price and quality, I would say Victorinox with Fibrox handle. Made by Swiss Army. Very reasonably priced. High quality steel blade. 15 degree edge. And even though you should probably never put your cutlery in the dishwasher, at that price I don't feel bad about doing that. If I could say anything negative about Victorinox, is that they are not sexy looking, so you might want to look into purchasing a good knife tray designed for drawer storage. Or buy protective sheaths so you can hide them in a drawer. ;D The handle looks kind of "cheapy", but fact is, it is very well designed, ergonomic, non-slip, and comfortable. Also, the fibrox handle is relatively lightweight, and I tend to like a more balanced weight in the handle like I get with my Henckels and Wusthof, especially for Chef's knives.

Here is some "light" reading if you'd like to learn more about knives, different types of steel manufacturing processes, etc.
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1433-chefs-knives
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:45:13 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:01:11 PM »
In the house, Chicago cutlery, over 30 years old.  Outdoors, Old Hickory and Rada.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »
+1 on what Kari said. I have a variety but I love the Victorinox knives. They just work....
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
I have several Victorinox knives and really like them.

They are a great value knife that is not showy, but is functional, has a good quality of steel for the money, holds an edge well, and just gets the job done.

The Victorinox knives that I primarily use are boning knives and my Granton edge slicer. I have several boning knives that I have used for deboning many a deer/hog and they seem to hold their edge way better than my other knives that are of lesser quality. I am fairly rough on my knives, often using them to debone partially frozen deer/hog carcasses and they just keep on doing the job.

For more delicate and refined uses I may spend a little more money on a knife, but I haven't really found the need so far.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Meatball

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 11:30:32 PM »

For more delicate and refined uses I may spend a little more money on a knife, but I haven't really found the need so far.
[/quote]
That has always been my belief, you can find a decent knife at a decent price that is more then capable of doing the job at hand. I have seen friends spend large sums of money on knives only to see them misused and abused.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

Meatball

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 06:03:59 AM »
Victorinox has a nice 7 piece set that comes with a bag and sharpening steel that I have seen on sale for under a hundred dollars. I gave a set of these to a friend of mine and he swears by them.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

coachB

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 10:17:45 AM »
+1 on the Victorinox line.  I have 6 different ones (bonings, chefs, slicers, butcher) and they have been exceptional.  No complaints whatsoever, just praise.  Webstaurant has very good pricing and excellent customer service.  You can't go wrong with this line.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

Meatball

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 02:51:52 AM »
The thing I like about the Dexter and Victorinox line is they are good knives vs quality  for the price, hold an edge well and the handles are comfortable to work with. Ever since I saw someone use a 250 dollar knife as a bottle opener I never use anything but these for grilling / smoking around people.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

Sum1

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
I think you might want to consider different brands for different knives in your collection, but as an all around recommendation for price and quality, I would say Victorinox with Fibrox handle. Made by Swiss Army. Very reasonably priced. High quality steel blade. 15 degree edge. And even though you should probably never put your cutlery in the dishwasher, at that price I don't feel bad about doing that. If I could say anything negative about Victorinox, is that they are not sexy looking, so you might want to look into purchasing a good knife tray designed for drawer storage. Or buy protective sheaths so you can hide them in a drawer. ;D The handle looks kind of "cheapy", but fact is, it is very well designed, ergonomic, non-slip, and comfortable. Also, the fibrox handle is relatively lightweight, and I tend to like a more balanced weight in the handle like I get with my Henckels and Wusthof, especially for Chef's knives.

My thoughts exactly. There was a period that I was looking to get a good knife regardless of cost - I wasn't happy with my Shun - so I spent many hours reading about countless knives, checking forums, websites, etc etc. I even checked Cut Brooklyn who sells his handmade knives for $750 (didn't care for them, honestly). And in the meantime, I got the Victorinox 8" as a temporary knife... and I never looked back. Ok, true, it's not sexy, but it's a terrific knife, easy to sharpen, feels great in my hand, and does what it needs to do exceptionally well. I also got the Victorinox boning knife, and it's been fantastic too, allowing me to debone a whole chicken very quickly. The Victorinox aren't just great relative to cost; they're great, period.
Zvi from Brooklyn

volscrazy65

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »
Victorinox has some higher end forged knives that are sexy.  I use the Victorinox Classic knives and love them.  I have a set of German made Wusthof steak knives that are nice.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
Victorinox, Randall Made, Lee Olsen Jr, Chicago Cutlery, Henkel, Old Timer, Buck, Case, Kabar...
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BillH

• Building furniture and smoking meat
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 04:32:46 PM »
You can't beat Forschner for high quality blades that are reasonably prices. The 10 in. slicer is my go to for brisket!
https://smile.amazon.com/Victorinox-10-Inch-Slicing-Rosewood-Handle/dp/B0019X3J5A/ref=sr_1_222?ie=UTF8&qid=1499891511&sr=8-222&keywords=forschner+knives/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:34:26 PM by BillH »
Newbie with a 2D

newuser

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 10:13:49 PM »
I use Shun, F. Dick, Global and have a few victorinox with the fibrox handles.
Ted - NC