Author Topic: Smoknig Sausage at 130-140  (Read 7530 times)

Curl Dog

Smoknig Sausage at 130-140
« on: January 24, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »
Hi Guys!

I am new to smoking and am considering purchasing a Model 3D. I need some help on sausage IT relative to the smoker temperature and generating smoke.

I am making venison sausage in 32mm (1 1/4") casings.  Based on what I have read in books and on this site, there are three basic steps: (1) dry the casing at 115-120 for an hour, (2) smoke the sausage at 130-140 IT for two hours and (3) raise the IT to 150-155 to finish it.  Then put it in an ice bath to stop the cooking.

My question concerns how to get a temperature high enough to generate smoke and keep the IT at 130-140 for two hours.  It is my understanding that a smoker temperature of at least 170 is required to generate smoke.  I know that multiple temperature sequences can be set with the PID controller.  I read one post in this section where a user said he "always sets the smoker temperature on 200 when hot smoking".  If a temperature in the 170-200 range is set for the smoker, will the IT of the sausage stay in the 130-140 range for at least two hours?  I anticipate smoking 12-25 pounds of sausage at at time ... starting with cold meat and a cold smoker.

I am just trying to get comfortable that the Model 3D, with the James Jerky Dryer, can do the job.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike
Decatur, AL

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Smoknig Sausage at 130-140
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
For lower temp smokes, you are going to want to use chips or slice some slivers from your wood chunks to get smoke at lower temps.

I used to try to do those stepped up sausage processes, but they took forever when smoking that much meat. I usually smoke 25-28 pounds at a time and with that much cold meat in the smoker, it takes a while to get the meat up to the 130-140 range even without using the stepped up process.

This is what works for me. I put my cold meat into the pre-prepped smoker (foiled, wood added, etc) and run with these steps:

1. Smoke at 45 minutes at 150 degrees.
2. Increase temp to 200 degrees and smoke for another 2 3/4 hours.
3. At the 3 hour mark, most of the smoke production should be done. So, this is the point where I add my Jerky Dryer.
4. I continue to smoke until the sausage gets to the 150-155 range. This usually takes about 8 hours.
5. Move the meat to an ice bath, or if it is cold enough out (I smoke a lot of my sausage in the cold ND winter months) I just hang my sausages back up on my rack and let them cool in the garage or outside on my deck.

I am not saying that this is the only way or even the right way. But, I have tried several different stepped up methods and they take a lot longer and I have not been able to see any difference in quality/taste. So, this is what works for me.

I use this same process for Snack Sticks as well as larger ring type sausages or summer sausage.

You definitely need the jerky dryer though. So, I am happy to hear that you have that in your plans.

Hopefully this helps.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Curl Dog

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:15:51 PM »
Gregg

Thanks for your comments. I was concerned that after an hour of drying the sausage, increasing the smoker temperature to 200 might cause the IT to rise above 140 before the two hours of smoking was completed. However, this does not seem to be the case. 

One point of clarification. Once the smoker temperature is set to 200, I assume it stays at that setting until the IT reaches 150-155.  Is that correct?

By the way, I read in another post that you own a VP215 chamber vacuum sealer. How do you like it?  I am considering replacing my old Food Saver.

Mike

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:36:42 PM »
The #3 makes fine sausage, it makes even better sausage when teamed with the Jerky fan. I do not have a #3D no do I desire one.

You mention drying the casing in the smoker at 115-120. This is not a good idea nor is it proper technique. You would want to hang your sausage on a simple rod or rack to allow the casing to become dry to the touch. After that put cold meat in a cold smoker and let it run until you hit your desired IT.

NDKoze uses two different temps but I believe that is more of an effort to get more smoke on the meat that to "dry" the links.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Curl Dog

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 10:54:53 AM »
Brian

I have read about air drying sausage on a rack.  However, I thought that was just another option in addition to drying it in the smoker.  Thanks for clearing up that part of the process.

Mike

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »
The #3 makes fine sausage, it makes even better sausage when teamed with the Jerky fan. I do not have a #3D no do I desire one.

You mention drying the casing in the smoker at 115-120. This is not a good idea nor is it proper technique. You would want to hang your sausage on a simple rod or rack to allow the casing to become dry to the touch. After that put cold meat in a cold smoker and let it run until you hit your desired IT.

NDKoze uses two different temps but I believe that is more of an effort to get more smoke on the meat that to "dry" the links.

Pork Belly is right. All of my sausages are cured and rest on racks overnight before I smoke them. So, the casings are quite dry to the touch when they do into the smoker. So, the lower temp allows extra time in getting smoke on the meat as well as helps prevent combustion of my wood.

If at all possible, I do like to let my sausage rest overnight on the racks to not only ensure proper drying, but also to allow time to let the cure and seasonings better meld together before hitting them with the heat. There are cure accelerators that you can use if you need/want to smoke right away, but I do not use them.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Curl Dog

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 11:36:52 AM »
I assume the sausage on the racks is NOT refrigerated .... correct?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 01:17:47 PM »
Most of my sausage is made/smoked in the cold/cool months in ND, so they just hang in my garage which depending on the time of year can be close to or below freezing to up to 50°F.

Here is a whimsical post that I created with pics of my different racks that I use:

News about the R&D efforts around the Sausage Rack product line
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 08:35:23 PM »
Welcome to the party, Mike!  I'm not a sausage smoker, but you sure came to the right place for some "expert" advice!!  Brian (Pork Belly) and Gregg (NDKoze) really know their stuff!  Pretty sure both of them smoke more sausage in a year than I've eaten in my whole life!

Whatever you decide, you will find the SI to be a solid, and versatile, tool for turning out whatever you find to smoke!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Rockenburger

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 07:23:39 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I'm new to all this with a electric smoker this tight and see that I will need the jerkey dryer. I tried Jerkey today and had a hard time getting the moisture out. Thanks again Always learning Tim in Tillamook.
Tim, in Tillamook Oregon, SI #4D, weber porpane grill. seafood cooker and a old charcole grill, have used old barrel smokers.      Wife, twin boys, dog, cat and a bunch of rabbits

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
I tried Jerky today and had a hard time getting the moisture out.

Try three or four hours of low (100-120) temp smoke then finish it in the oven. Use the lowest possible setting on your oven and crack the door open with a wooden spoon.

Not a perfect solution but adequate until you get the jerky fan.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Greenenvey

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
Hi, I see you said to bump up the temp to 200 degrees, I was under the impression  that it would  start fitting out? Is that not the case? Thank you.q
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »
Hi, I see you said to bump up the temp to 200 degrees, I was under the impression  that it would  start fitting out? Is that not the case? Thank you.q

I am not sure what you mean by "fitting out"?
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Greenenvey

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 09:32:28 PM »
Oh lmao, that was a typo.... I meant fating  out.
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 10:03:13 AM »
This is how I smoke snack sticks that have to get to 155-160 Internal.

I wouldn't smoke sausage that needed to be cooked again prior to serving like I would a Country Style sausage.

And maybe it would be better to smoke it lower for a long time. But, my snack stick batches already take 8-10 hours at these temps, and I sometimes need to do two 28lb batches per day. So, going low and slow all day doesn't work for me.
Gregg - Fargo, ND