Author Topic: Food for football  (Read 18445 times)

RG

Re: Food for football
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »
I like that idea Dave! My favorite dogs are Sahlen's but I am not sure they would work for this application. I might give it a whirl though!
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2017, 02:25:42 AM »
Never heard of Sahlen's, but at $30 per pound, I'm going to have to pass on those. ;D They must be pretty great though at that price. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for them in specialty stores around here.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2017, 07:18:48 AM »
Publix started carrying them all over the Southeast so now I can get them fairly inexpensive. They cost no more than Hebrew National or Nathan's. Before then I would go to a place in Atlanta that serves them but they'll sell you a 5lb bag of them for $35.00 or so.
Jason from Conyers GA

JustChillin

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2017, 08:12:38 AM »
I google them and saw that Publix was carry them. I will have to give the a try. I love a really good hotdog.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
To get the right cornbread to hot dog ratio the fatter the dog the better.  Nathans work well.  I like Hebrew Nationals on a bun but the are too skinny for the appetizer bites. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2017, 07:05:14 AM »
I will be cooking a packer brisket today to cook in the SI2. Do most of you split the point from the falt or do you cook it whole. Any fool proof suggestions are welcome.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »
I will be cooking a packer brisket today to cook in the SI2. Do most of you split the point from the falt or do you cook it whole. Any fool proof suggestions are welcome.
The only reason to split the point is if you were planning on making burnt ends and then I don't split until the smoke/cook time is almost over.  Lots of opinions on doing brisket our own way.  Might be better for argument sake to tell us what you were thinking and we can tell you if there is any holes in your plan. 

SconnieQ

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »

Splitting it for the most part is determined by whether you can fit it in your smoker whole or not. The general preference is to leave the brisket whole whenever possible. Some people with a #2 have been known to put it in whole, even though it might be touching the back and the door. It will shrink. My concern with this is making sure it is not touching, or dripping on the box probe on the back wall. I have a #1, so I cut it in half. I actually get excellent results this way in the #1. I place the flat fat side up on an upper rack, then I place the point on a rack below, fat side down. The point can take more heat, and shields the flat. I like to take the flat to 195, and the point to 200-205, and they both seem to be done at the same time with this arrangement. If you are able to leave it whole, and have an extra food probe, it is helpful to probe both the flat and the point, and decide on a happy medium for final temperature.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
Thanks Kari! That gives me the answers that I need. I would like to do it whole but it might be to large. I should have known that you would have some good ideas. They must come from "Libby the Dog".

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2017, 01:30:02 PM »
Cutting it in half to fit a small smoker is not technically removing the point as the point is just a knob on top of the flat that runs the entire length of the packer. 

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
 Some of the greatest times / memories are from past Super Bowl parties with family and friends.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

SconnieQ

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2017, 01:39:51 PM »
Cutting it in half to fit a small smoker is not technically removing the point as the point is just a knob on top of the flat that runs the entire length of the packer.

Good "point". When you cut it in half, one half is flat only, the other half is point and some flat.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2017, 06:10:26 PM »
Thanks again for the details. The brisket is 20+ inches long. I will look into separating the flat from the point or cutting. I have heard of people partially slicing the thin end and folding it over. Is that really an option.

JustChillin

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
Here is the pre-trimmed brisket. I am going to try Kari's method of cutting it in to two pieces to fit in the smoker. I will inject it tonight (I rarely inject anything other than a turkey), then use a dry rub tomorrow before a Saturday night smoke. Thanks for the suggestions.

SconnieQ

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 11:34:04 AM »
Thanks again for the details. The brisket is 20+ inches long. I will look into separating the flat from the point or cutting. I have heard of people partially slicing the thin end and folding it over. Is that really an option.

Yeah...I wouldn't do the fold-over thing. It will be fine cutting it in half. Do you have 2 food probes? If you only have one probe, I would measure the flat. The point is much more forgiving, and can go well past 200, even up to 210 with no ill effects.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide