Author Topic: WSD-1200 GPH on order  (Read 4231 times)

JustChillin

WSD-1200 GPH on order
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:48:41 PM »
After experiencing huge fluctuations in my SI2 this weekend, I decided to order the PID from Auber. Since they are not far from my house, I will be picking it up tomorrow. Be prepared for numerous questions setting it up.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: WSD-1200 GPH on order
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »
Be sure to pick up a permanent probe. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:28:40 PM »
That's the plan. Thanks for the reminder.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

va_rider

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
Set up is remarkably easy. It made a huge difference in my SI#2.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »
I currently have it running through the Auto Tune. I decided to get the clip on probe because it has a nice threaded probe that can be attached to an aluminum bracket that I am building. This will allow me to move it to different racks in closer proximity to the cooking area used. Looking forward to using it this weekend.

JustChillin

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »
Auto tune complete P 68 / I 600 / D 301. The ambient temp was around 70+- when the AT started. Do these numbers appear to be within a reasonable tolerance level?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 11:10:23 PM »
This will allow me to move it to different racks in closer proximity to the cooking area used.

Your results will change, this way.  Probe placement is critical to the tuning.  If you move the probe around, the results will vary a lot.  The best consistent results are with the fixed/wall-mount probe.   This is not a standalone drop-in thermometer; it controls the Auber, so consistency is essential.  If you do choose to use the drop-in, please keep it in the exact same spot it was during the autotune, or you will get different results.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 07:48:24 AM »
Thanks. I have it mounted to a shelve bracket that I made. It will allow it to be placed at the same location but also it can easily be removed when not wanted.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
Thanks. I have it mounted to a shelve bracket that I made. It will allow it to be placed at the same location but also it can easily be removed when not wanted.

Consistent placement is the key.  The fixed probe completely eliminates any error.  To see what I'm talking about, start the smoker (with a heat sink, like a few bricks or a pan of sand) in there, let it get up to temp and then move the probe to a few different locations - even just a bit.  It will read different!  I didn't think it would make that much of a difference until I tried it, in the early days of experimenting with the Auber and probes.  That's why I so strongly promote the fixed probe.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!