Author Topic: Maverick Problems  (Read 4174 times)

Ohio1956

Maverick Problems
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:14:02 PM »
When I start the smoke the temp reads fine. Somewhere around 140 the reading on my Maverick is LLL. Anyone else have this problem?
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

ibbones

Re: Maverick Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:34 AM »
Mine does that sometimes.  Not sure why but it usually stops and everything is good.  I usually mark it off to living in a high humidity area.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 01:26:22 PM »
Mine has done that occasionally too. It could be caused by too cold of temperatures (under 30F) or your probe might be on its way out.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 02:38:13 PM »
When I start the smoke the temp reads fine. Somewhere around 140 the reading on my Maverick is LLL. Anyone else have this problem?

The Maverick website suggests it could be a failed probe.  On anything electronic I would always try a reset via removal of batteries as well as testing with known fresh batteries.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Ohio1956

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
Thanks, I put in new batteries and that did not help. Today I put the probe in a pan of water and turned the stove on. The temp worked fine until it hit 177 degrees. The monitor beeped then went to triple hockey sticks. I am going to buy a new probe for a back up.

Thanks again;
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »
It means your probe is failing. Order some extras!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »
This may not be the case, Rod, but I need to remind everyone reading this to be really careful when cleaning thermo probes.  ANY water in the end, where the wire goes in, can cause premature death of your probe.  Don't ever submerse the probe in water.  You can also seal the end of a new probe with some hi-temp silicone (from the auto parts store).  Just wipe down the end of the probe with hot water, but not under running water.  The bulb-capillary system inside that probe is very sensitive to water.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Ohio1956

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 06:46:50 PM »
I remember reading that so I did not put the entire probe under water. I will seal the next one.

Thanks again
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 07:24:58 PM »
You can also seal the end of a new probe with some hi-temp silicone (from the auto parts store).  Just wipe down the end of the probe with hot water, but not under running water.  The bulb-capillary system inside that probe is very sensitive to water.

Dumb question...  why doesn't Maverick seal their probes?  The cynic would think they like selling probes, but that sure isn't good customer service.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 10:34:43 PM »
They do sell waterproof probes I have two of them that I bought on Amazon and have powered in several threads here.

But I take your point that why don't they seal all of their probes and agree with you.

I have had very good luck with my waterproof probes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 09:26:31 PM »
Great question about why manufacturers don't seal their probes!  Since this is pretty much the "single point of failure," (other than the plug end, too, but more rare), why wouldn't they?  Seems it would be easy to make a sealed connection where the wire meets the probe.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »
This may not be relevant to the problem some of you are having.  However, I have a Maverick ET-733.  I have a problem with the plug in receptacle on the transmitter.  The plug in keeps popping out of the receptacle.  When this happens I get a reading of HHH on both the transmitter and receiver.  The first time it happened I thought it was a faulty probe.  So, I changed the probe and the same thing happened.

It took me some time, but eventually and accidently, I discovered that I needed to insert the probe into the meat, then put the transmitter in a spot where nothing could cause the wire to move and then plug in the probe to the transmitter.  Even a slight breeze would cause the probe plug in to pop out of the receptacle. 

I sent Maverick an email suggesting it was a problem with the receptacle on the Maverick transmitter and that the transmitter should be replaced.  I thought this was reasonable since the ET-733 was brand new and under warranty, but they thought otherwise.  So, I now use a big wide rubber band to help keep the probe plug in in place.   :D :D 
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!