Author Topic: Smokin in the teens outside temperature question?  (Read 3377 times)

BillyLrsn

Smokin in the teens outside temperature question?
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:52:28 PM »
Some family members want some ribs for a event this weekend. I am in Minnesota and the air temp will be in the teens. Anything I should know? Is it okay to use?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Smokin in the teens outside temperature question?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »
Hello, Neighbor. I live in Fargo and have smoked in -20F with zero issues other than not liking to go outside to get the smoker ready and pull the meat out when it is so dang cold. :)

The only issue that you may have, is that your thermometers will not register until they hit 30 or so. So you may have to dip them in a glass of hot water or use a hair dryer or some other means of heating up the probes.

Do you have a D model or an analog? If an analog, it will eventually come up to temp on its own without heating the probe. If you have a D model with the built-in Auber probe I am not sure if heating the probe is necessary or not (I have an analog #3).

But, once you get going, it may take an extra 10-20 minutes to get to temp, but once you are there it will not have a problem maintaining temp in very cold weather.

hopefully this helps.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BillyLrsn

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »
Thats really good news.
Thanks NDKoze. I have the analog. I will let 'er buck.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 01:19:05 AM »
Hello from your neighbor on the other side. Smoking all winter long is one of my favorite things about the SI! That's exactly when you need a smoker where you put meat in, and stay warm inside until it's done.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:48:05 PM »
If you smoke a pork butt beware of the fat "volcano". The rendering fat will freeze if it gets cold enough. I'll bet NDKoze can attest to it.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:00:43 PM »
Show the picture of the fat volcano (I think of it more as a fatscicle), Gregg....funny stuff!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 02:29:04 AM »
You asked for it. So here it is. I think this was from my -20 degree smoke. It was so cold that the fat was freezing as it dripped from the smoker.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »
That's a beautiful thing.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 09:45:02 PM »
That's a beautiful thing.

...Where science enters the realm of art.   :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!