Author Topic: Steel water Pan  (Read 2520 times)

dbackyard

Steel water Pan
« on: December 26, 2016, 11:20:48 PM »
I bought a steel bread baking pan, can i use it instead of the aluminum foil ones? Fits nice next to the smoke box but not sure if heat retention would be an issue.
Davey - Brookings, SD
Smokin-It Model 2D.
Smokin-It Model 3D.
Weber Q320.
Anova Precision Cooker Pro.
Anova Precision Cooker.

Walt

Re: Steel water Pan
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:50:21 AM »
Yes
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Limey

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
I use a stainless steel smoker box from an old gas grill as my water pan. It works fine so you should not have any problems. Most people use the disposable pans mainly to save on cleanup.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 12:50:28 PM »
You could. But, I don't see any advantages, unless you don't like disposable stuff and don't mind extra clean up.

For me, I'll stick with my disposables. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
I use an old stainless steel frothing pitcher...  I try to not generate any more waste than I have to.  It has been working just fine for me and goes through the dishwasher with no difficulty at all.  Being right next to the element/fire box, I don't really see how it can do much if any harm.  All of the heat it's absorbing is still inside the semi-closed system.  If it were a big issue, the firebox itself would have to be redesigned to be far more minimal.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 12:40:11 PM »
It is definitely not causing any harm. If anything, the steel may help heat up the water faster than the tin reusables, but I think the difference is negligible. So, either way will work just fine.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 07:25:56 PM »
I also use a steel pan. To each his / her own.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 10:41:38 PM »
I use disposables.  When I ran out one time, I "appropriated" one of my wife's teflon-coated steel loaf pans (don't think I didn't hear about that).  It was fine for a few smokes, but it lost its coating and rusted in no time.  Personally, I only go disposable now...bought a pack today at WalMart for $.88.  Just to be frivolous, I bought 2 packs!  At a quarter a piece, cleaning a steel pan just isn't worth it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!