Author Topic: A couple of Turkey brine observations  (Read 1768 times)

prudentsmoker

A couple of Turkey brine observations
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:04:21 PM »
I was given a package of Classic Brine Mix from The Briner for Christmas. It is one pound and does not call for boiling or even hot water! It simply says dissolve package in 5 quarts of cold water. I opted to put it in the blender and am trying it out now. The other interesting thing is they list the ingredients right on the package, which I know they have to do, but there are none called “spices”. They simply are salt, brown sugar, white sugar, garlic, onion powder and black pepper. This stuff sells for over $9/lb.! Anyway, I would think it would be really easy to replicate, which I intend to do if it turns out well. I will let you all know what I think about it tomorrow night after my family rates it.
Brian from Wichita

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: A couple of Turkey brine observations
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:13:10 PM »
All you really need in a brine is salt and water. Everything else is for flavor. I always add brown sugar to my brines (except for beef). Beyond that, you can add whatever you want. Garlic, onion, pepper, herbs and spices. I don't see any reason to ever purchase a brine mix. The ingredients are so cheap.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide