Author Topic: OK Everyone, Show the Prime Ribs!  (Read 5140 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
OK Everyone, Show the Prime Ribs!
« on: December 24, 2016, 10:56:16 PM »
I did a 30 day age, trimmed, and added rub. Now it is going in for a little rest before the big show tomorrow.
Merry Christmas All!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

barelfly

Re: OK Everyone, Show the Prime Ribs!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 01:13:37 PM »
Three day age. Rubbed with oil, s/p ready to go! Was in at 7:30am. Can't wait!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 01:17:01 PM »
I have a 9.5 lb USDA Prime "prime rib" in the smoke now!  No prep pics, but I'll post the final outcome!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Pulled from the smoker and resting. Getting sides done now, but it's almost like having a double oven!!! Love it!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 03:30:30 PM »
Looking good, Jeremy!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jumanji

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 06:56:41 PM »
Here's mine.  Done yesterday.  A 7.5 lb bone-in prime rib.  For reference, took full six hours to cook from closing the smoker door to 127 deg F internal temp.  Then ten minutes on the gas grill at 500 deg F.  Sorry no sliced pics, but it was a very good medium rare.

Highly recommend the Adams Reserve Rib, Roast and Steak Rub.  Lots of flavor.  We had problems with the wood on this smoke never really getting started, and no smoke, and the Rub saved the day.

My third smoke.  Baby backs, pork tenderloin and now this.  Wife is loving the Smokin-It.  Family loved the prime rib.

Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »
Here's the finished product. Used 5 oz of red oak, 4 hours at 200 to get to 130 IT. Finished in a 500 deg oven for 15 minutes. The result was very tender, juicy and got raves from the extended family. A success all around.  :) Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Everyone!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 09:35:57 PM »
Forgot to say that the aging dropped the weight from 8 lb 3 oz to 7 lb even. I did it bone off since my dry bags wouldn't fit over the bones. So I have some beef ribs in my future....  :D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

barelfly

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
everyone's looks great!! Love it!

I didn't get pics of a sliced piece of PR - but it was wonderful. Even made a great Au jus with the water/beef broth mixture I used in the water pan. Had some drippings in it that I added some brown sugar and red wine to and let it reduce on the stove top. Was great!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 10:06:31 PM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Jumanji

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 09:22:09 AM »
Bob, four hours was from start of smoker to finish, or time cooked once the smoker got to 200 deg?  That's a very fast cook compared to my 7-1/2 lb bone-in that took six hours to get to 127 deg F.

Your prime rib looks very nice, and you get extra points on the presentation pic!  My family was taking slices away and putting them on their plate as I sliced!  With the extended cooking time, everyone was pretty hungry I guess!
Smokin-It 3D

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »
Michael, that was from a cold start to finish. I do an initial ramp for 20 minutes to 165 so I don't get combustion. Every piece of meat is different. I don't know if the aging made a difference or not. Definitely less moisture in the meat since the weight change is mostly loss of water and concentration of flavors. Happy New Year!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Jumanji

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 11:20:19 AM »
Bob, did you use wood blocks/chunks, or chips?  I didn't have a problem with combustion.  It was just the opposite - my wood never really burned.  No smoke.  See bottom of this topic: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5840.0
Smokin-It 3D

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »
I split the Smokinlicious chunks into pieces that are about 1/2 inch sizes. Bigger than chips but I get good consumption that way. When I do ribs at 235 I will normally get ash.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Durangosmoker

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 09:14:34 PM »
+1 on what Bob said about splitting the chunks into smaller pieces. I generally do this with all the Smokinlicious chunks, which I find are just a bit bigger than I like for optimal smokes. I just keep a hatchet and a chopping block next to where I store the wood.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Jumanji

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 10:37:04 AM »
When I did my ribs smoke at 235 deg F, I used one Smokin-It hickory block that was about 1-1/2 inches thick.  After 1-1/2 hour smoke, only thing left was about a 1/2 inch square ember.

On the prime rib smoke, I used two pieces of wood.  The Smokin-It hickory block was 1-1/2 inches thick, the Smokinlicious block 1-1/4 inch thick.  Both just charred the surface a bit, at 200 deg F for six hours. 

Guess I would have thought that if 1/2 inch thick pieces were required, Smokin-It would have instructed us to chop up the wood blocks they sent.  Or they would have just cut them the correct size before shipping.

My friend with the Cookshack Amerique uses the Smokinlicious standard wood chunks as-is, and always gets wood burn to ash.  This is supposed to be a higher temp element.  Am wondering if I still have an issue with element temp.
Smokin-It 3D