Author Topic: Nuts...How much wood?  (Read 2617 times)

ZOUkeeper

Nuts...How much wood?
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:02:05 PM »
I am going to try my first time at smoking nuts (almonds and pecans).  In looking through the threads, I have not seen much mention of the amount of wood to use.

I have hickory and cherry wood.  Thoughts on which to use?
Tony, Central MO
Smokin-It #3D

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Nuts...How much wood?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »
I just did almonds last night for the first time.  I chipped up just under 2 oz of wood and that worked out great.  I put some worcestershire, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder on mine.  I soaked the wood and the nuts (separately) for about 10 minutes.  I smoked at 235 for about 1.5 hours.  My family and I approve of the results...

Edit:  Just noticed this is the cold-smoking forum... haven't tried any nuts (or anything) that way yet.  Hope to do that in the near future, so I'll be watching to see how it works out for you.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:10:28 AM by LarryD »
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

ZOUkeeper

Re: Nuts...How much wood?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 12:07:37 PM »
I am not cold smoking either.  This is just the forum where nuts were discussed  ;D

I am using the method others have mentioned.  Brined for 4 hours and smoking at 230 for 4 hours.

I used a chunk each of cherry and hickory totaling about 4 oz.  Hopefully they are not too smokey.

Have to live and learn!
Tony, Central MO
Smokin-It #3D