Author Topic: Cold temperatures  (Read 2329 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Cold temperatures
« on: December 06, 2016, 11:00:03 AM »
I haven't had problems smoking in the cold in the past but today is proving very trying and difficult for some reason.  The outside temp today is 17 degrees.  Not matter what I do the box temp is not reaching the set temperature.  Are the Aubers affected by the cold temps? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

PAHuntAndEat

Re: Cold temperatures
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
I am interested in this question too. I was going to post the same thread but then saw yours. We have had a few days with morning temps in the single digits. I would have like to do a smoke those days but had a feeling it was just too cold. Im curious if there is a recommended safe outside temperature range for the SI units?
Dee from PA Mountains
SI#1

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 10:59:11 AM »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »
Dave, that thread is mostly about the temperature of the permanent probe.  I'm wondering if the Auber box itself has issues with the extreme cold. Does it get brain freeze?  Way back in my memory I vaguely remember reading a thread where someone would put a heating pad on it in super cold conditions. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:50:08 PM »
When I used the standalone Auber, I used to set it on top of the smoker (without the legs extended) during really cold smokes (single-digit).  Seemed to work fine...never had a problem.  All electronics, though, reach their limit!  A heating pad is a good idea - never thought of that!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 11:11:24 AM »
This Winter is the first time living in a cold climate, so, I'm having to learn some new habits.  When living in CA, I could set my smoker up the night before so that O dark 30 all I had to do was put the meat in and turn it on.  I did a ham this past weekend and kept the Auber in overnight and found that it worked much better. I also laid a small towel over the Auber so that it retained some of its own heat.