Author Topic: First Chicken Wings  (Read 1927 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
First Chicken Wings
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:30:16 PM »
I just did chicken wings for the first time... I haven't tried them yet, but they look awesome!  I bought a frozen 10# bag (59 wings) from Sam's Club.  Thawed them out, dried them, coated them with some olive oil, and then coated them with a spice mix.  (onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, coriander, and cumin)  Smoked them with around 3 oz of hickory at 225 for ~1.5 hours.  Threw them into the preheated oven at 375 (convection) for 5 minutes on each side.  They are clearly fully cooked and still juicy.  I have them wrapped right now while my wife finishes making potato skins with cheese, bacon, and sour cream.  After we are sufficiently gorged I'll report back on how the wings tasted.  :)

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Durangosmoker

Re: First Chicken Wings
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 02:53:13 PM »
Looks Tasty!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 08:42:52 PM »
They look great, Larry!  Bet they were good, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:33:35 PM »
So, the promised update:  They were (are; couldn't eat them all) definitely good...  Next time I'd probably use cherry wood instead of hickory.  Because I'm diabetic I don't add sugar to any of my foods.  I think cherry would have imparted a subtle sweetness that was missing.

I'd also be tempted to either skip the oven or shorten the smoking time by 15-20 minutes.  They weren't dry, but they were ever so slightly over-done by my preference.  I'll definitely make them again.

The bacon cheddar skins my wife made went perfectly with the wings.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...