Author Topic: $50 off Anova WiFi or Bluetooth for "Cyber Week"  (Read 8348 times)

drains

Re: $50 off Anova WiFi or Bluetooth for "Cyber Week"
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 05:31:48 PM »
Mine just arrived so a trip to SAMs tomorrow is in order. Rib eyes and chuck roast will be at the top of the list. Nice looking piece of equipment and seems to be sturdy. Time will tell. Thanks again for the heads up on the special deal, been holding off but couldn't walk away from this one.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 06:51:24 PM »
Dale, you'll love it, once you get the hang of it!  It absolutely excels with steaks, if you have a hot grill to sear them with.  You can sear with a torch (I use the Searzall), but the taste isn't the same.  Steaks I do now taste like I completely did them on the grill, but are absolutely perfect, from edge to edge! 

Get a 12 qt Cambro polycarbonate square container; it's perfect for 99% of what you'll do.  I have a 22 qt one for long items.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 08:52:05 PM »
I really like the flavor of a steak cooked over charcoal and I have a hibachi grill that I intend to use to finish steaks and such.  Its a little more effort but the results will be worth the effort, I hope. The hibachi is small and can be stored just about anywhere out of the way. I have a large stock pot I will use initially and if things work out I will definitely be getting the 12 qt. cambro.  Looking forward to trying out the new gadget. Maybe tomorrow! ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:56:48 PM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 09:13:44 PM »
Dale, what I've learned about steak is that the flavor we get, whether it be a gasser or charcoal, is mostly external (surface of the meat).  The middle of the steak doesn't really take on BBQ flavor from our grill.  But, just like pulled pork bark mixing with the internal meat, it imparts the flavor.  When you cook a steak SV, you will get the absolute perfect med-rare, medium, or whatever you're looking for.  Then, the method of the sear (hot charcoal, gas grill, cast iron pan) will impart the "flavor" you like, just as if you had cooked it there the whole time.  It really does work.  The great thing is, too, you can take tougher cuts (like sirloin) and SV them for 3-4 hours to tenderize them, but still have a perfect interior...time doesn't effect the internal temp, only tenderness!

Read all you can, in the Sous Vide section, and your learning curve will be less, with what a lot of us have already learned!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 09:16:27 PM »
One other thing, Dale...  When you take that trip to Sam's, see if yours carries the USDA Prime sirloin steaks.  They're usually in a 2-pack, and are near the ribeyes.  They are cheaper than ribeyes, and are absolutely fantastic SV!  I actually prefer them because they are leaner, and come out very tender.  I do them for 4 hours at 129, then sear. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

drains

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 05:22:27 AM »
One other thing, Dale...  When you take that trip to Sam's, see if yours carries the USDA Prime sirloin steaks.  They're usually in a 2-pack, and are near the ribeyes.  They are cheaper than ribeyes, and are absolutely fantastic SV!  I actually prefer them because they are leaner, and come out very tender.  I do them for 4 hours at 129, then sear.

Will do! Thanks
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
Can't wait to see your results, Dale! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Glock_21

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 10:57:25 PM »

I ended up ordering 2.  One for me, one for a gift. 

One arrived today. Cant wait to try it out.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

drains

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 04:34:46 PM »
Special deal ends tomorrow.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3