Author Topic: I just ordered...  (Read 5055 times)

docmorgan7

I just ordered...
« on: October 09, 2016, 10:38:32 PM »
I am proud to say that the Traeger will be going back to Costco and the 2D will be arriving at my house this week!  I couldn't justify spending an extra $170 on the 3D.  Sure the unit is deeper and I'd be able to put a full slab of ribs on a rack.  It's mainly the Wife and I doing the eating so having to cut a rack in half isn't a big deal.  I've also had better luck cutting my full packer briskets in half and smoking them separate.

I've had enough of the Traeger Jr and it's ever lasting mood swings.  It's a sensitive little fellow.  Regardless of what they say, it's not "set it and forget it."  There is a tad bit of babysitting involved.  I'd set it at 225° and the temps would go up and down.  See sawing back and forth.  It would never sit and maintain a set temperature.   I'm done trying to figure it out.  The frustration hath boiled over.  Now the wait begins for the 2D to arrive!
Adam

Minneapolis, MN

ibbones

Re: I just ordered...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »
Welcome Adam.  I have never used a pellet grill and only had the Smokin=It for a few months but you will NOT be disappointed.  I love my SI.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 01:09:52 AM »
Welcome From SE Arizona. Enjoy the 2D.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:03:03 AM »
Welcome from ND Adam! You are going to love your #2.

I typically only smoke for me and my two boys, but I do appreciate the ability to occasionally go big with my #3. That being said, the #2 is a very capable smoker and plenty big for most smokes. It sounds like for you, you made the best choice for your needs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

drains

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 01:06:02 PM »
Welcome from Texas Adam! The #2 sounds like a perfect fit for you. SI products are top notch no matter which one it is. Be sure to share your experiences with us as you enjoy your new smoker.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 09:44:40 PM »
Welcome, Adam!  You are finally, truly, entering Club Lazy Q! 8)   You will see a difference in ease of use, and save a lot on pellets!  Personally, I don't own a pellet pooper, but have several friends that do.  I love burgers and steaks on them, but they are not great at "true" smoking...way too sensitive, as you've mentioned.  I believe in "dedicated" tools; the right tool for the job!  If I want to grill, the gasser gets the job done, but if I want to smoke meat, nothing beats the SI!

You'll love the 2D!  I know I do!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 08:11:38 PM »
Welcome Adam. I was at Costco one day when the Traeger representative was there. Lots of shoppers were interested. I found some friends of mine watching the pitch. Pulled them away and sent them the info on the SI. You will enjoy your #2.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Mr. D

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 04:01:15 PM »
You will love your #2, I smoked a pack of Sam's ribs (3 racks) a couple weeks ago and they turned out awesome. I think my best ribs to date. 

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:34:47 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Adam!  You have found the right place! 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Durangosmoker

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 01:28:51 PM »
Welcome from the Hudson Valley. You're going to love your #2, they're awesome!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Papa Rick

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 09:57:03 AM »
You will LOVE the # 2, I sure do.  You may wonder if you can cook much in the #2, but I have cooked 5 Racks of Ribs (Cut in half), 4 Turkey Breast and 4 Pork Butts (Total weight 29.36 lbs) in my #2 each at one time.  It was tight and took some figuring out how to get them in there and let the heat and smoke distribute evenly  throughout the cook time, but was done.

I will say this smoker makes me feel as though I am really better at doing this than I am, but in the end it is the smoker that does the amazing part.  If you will read up on how to do the parts you are going to be smoking, it is almost a fail safe way of smoking.  Tony has great brining instructions that are great and will take your smoking to the next level.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

Codered1080

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 06:33:27 PM »
i have had #2 for  3 years with the rib rack u can fit whole slabs of ribs standing up side by side

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 06:39:15 PM »
I am proud to say that the Traeger will be going back to Costco and the 2D will be arriving at my house this week!  I couldn't justify spending an extra $170 on the 3D.

Congrats!  I just got my #2 last Wednesday and I love it...  the PID on the 2D should totally take care of the mood swings for you.  Like you, I just couldn't justify the #3... as it is I feel like I'm severely under-loading my #2.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

ibbones

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 11:36:43 AM »
Like you, I just couldn't justify the #3... as it is I feel like I'm severely under-loading my #2.
Ha ha, I have the #3D and a few weeks ago I was going to smoke some jalapeño poppers.  I had four...yes, four peppers, cut in half and stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon.  Yep, all eight halve into the #3.  All was right with the world. :P
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 08:51:22 PM »
Like you, I just couldn't justify the #3... as it is I feel like I'm severely under-loading my #2.
Ha ha, I have the #3D and a few weeks ago I was going to smoke some jalapeño poppers.  I had four...yes, four peppers, cut in half and stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon.  Yep, all eight halve into the #3.  All was right with the world. :P

Love it!! ;D   I never realized the true beauty of the #3 until I stretched out that first 17 lb packer brisket, uncut, in all it's glory!  It was a thing of beauty!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!