Author Topic: Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs?  (Read 2176 times)

Papa Rick

Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs?
« on: November 23, 2016, 06:30:21 PM »
Plan on doing a first for me tomorrow.  Going to do 8 Cheesy, Diced Jalapenos Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs, 4 Bacon Wrapped Cheese with BBQ and then 4 just Bacon wrapped with cheese inside them.  Got this from Jeff Phillips website and was wondering if anyone has done this and how did they turn out.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 07:51:57 PM »
I saw that recipe...  Looks good!  I'll be interested to see how it turns out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 03:53:26 PM »
Not familiar with the recipe, but wondering if the cheese just melts away and disappears. Let us know how it turns out!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Papa Rick

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »
The Chicken thighs turned out GREAT!  Only did 3 Diced Jalapenos with cheese and bacon wrapped, 4 with just cheese, bacon wrapped, 3 with Bacon wrapped around them with (BBQ Sauce mixed with a little honey), and then 6 just old fashioned BBQ added 30 minutes before they were done.  I learned some valuable lessons on this though and that is be sure you are getting good quality bacon to wrap with.

I got some cheap name brand stuff and thought it would not matter, but it gave me fits trying to get it to wrap around the chicken thighs without tearing.  The bacon does not get crispy, but done enough to eat with the Chicken.  It stated on the website it would not.

You do need 4 pieces of bacon if you have cheese in them as it does want to ooze out, but talk about looking good when they are done.  I got the idea for this off of Jeff Phillips web site and must say it really takes your chicken thighs up another notch for sure.  I had people asking what they were and when I explained they were gone quick.

Smoked it 250 degrees for 2 hours with hickory and sugar maple wood from Smokinlicious.  (Awesome wood, and you can tell the difference in the smoke.)
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker