Author Topic: Whole turkey and rib roast  (Read 3290 times)

bufo55

Whole turkey and rib roast
« on: September 30, 2016, 11:38:44 AM »
So for a couple of decades I have been the designated meat cook for my extended family's Christmas dinner.  I settled on turkey and rib roast a while ago, and perfected the art of cooking both on a bbq with a side smoking box. Unfortunately I had to give up the bbq a few years ago when I moved to a place where all that smoke all day long would not be acceptable.  So I switched to cooking in an oven. The family has been understanding so far, and no one else is about to step up and replace the disenfranchised Q-master, but we all miss the old smoky goodness.

I'm about to bite the bullet and get a Model 2 (or maybe a 1), but after reading up on cooking temps and times, I'm a little wary of the logistics of doing these two big items at the same time.  Has anyone done this sort of thing before - turkey plus rib roast? Would it make sense to stagger the cook and just keep one warm until serving time?  Maybe also reheating in a 500 degree oven to put a crust on it? 

This is probably the only time I would use the Model 2 to capacity, otherwise a Model 1 would suit my needs. If there isn't a way to cook the roast and the turkey just right simultaneously, then I might just do the turkey ahead of time and get a Model 1.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Steve from Oakland, California

First smoke with Model 2: Oct 14, 2016, marking the beginning of a new age in (my personal bbq) history.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Whole turkey and rib roast
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:40:16 PM »
Hi Bufo, I have a #2 and I wouldn't go any smaller even though I don't always use all of the box for my wife and I. In answer to your specific question, you want to do the turkey at 250 box temp but for the prime rib roast, you want to go at 210 to your desired temp. These are not really compatible at the same time obviously. You will then want to do the reverse sere at 500 deg in the oven to crisp the outsides of both up. Since I doubt there will be much difference in time between one or the other, you will have to figure out which you want to do first.....or buy two smokers.  ;) Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 04:14:21 PM »
I have a #2 as well and I am not even sure that you could get a whole turkey and rib roast in the 32 at the same time.   I agree with Bob that the two are not compatible in terms of smoking temperature, so I recommend smoking the turkey first and then do the rib roast at a later time.   Be sure to allow yourself plenty of extra time if you are doing the rib roast on the day of the feast!   You don't want a bunch of hungry people staring at you.   ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 05:39:47 PM »
I think you would need a #3 to do both at the same time. Otherwise, purchasing two #1's might suit you better. You could lend your extra #1 to other family members or neighbors throughout the year to use and enjoy (and join the forum!), and at Christmas when you need the extra #1, it is easily transportable. Having 2 separate smokers would also be an advantage for smoking two very different meats, with two different temperatures and times, and even two different woods.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Socbum

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:54:40 PM »
I have a model #2 and have smoked the Thanksgiving turkey in the box the past 4 years.  I have smoked turkeys from 20 - 24 lbs and each time the turkey filled the entire box with no room for anything else.  If you are going to smoke both items I would do them separately.  I have been very successful with smoking the turkey and then use the FTC method to hold the turkey until dinner time. Foil Towel Cooler.  Last year I used the FTC for 2 hours and the turkey was still hot and juicy.

Hope this helps with your decision.

bufo55

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »
Glad you explained FTC - my imagination was about to run wild  ;D.

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone.  One principle I think I learned is "don't get creative with the recommended cooking temp." I'm so used to not having precise control on my old Chargriller stick Q, the luxury of thermostatic temperature control will take some time to adjust.  I'll sleep on it and place an order tomorrow.

Steve from Oakland, California

First smoke with Model 2: Oct 14, 2016, marking the beginning of a new age in (my personal bbq) history.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 09:04:12 PM »
I have a model #2 and have smoked the Thanksgiving turkey in the box the past 4 years.  I have smoked turkeys from 20 - 24 lbs and each time the turkey filled the entire box with no room for anything else.  If you are going to smoke both items I would do them separately.  I have been very successful with smoking the turkey and then use the FTC method to hold the turkey until dinner time. Foil Towel Cooler.  Last year I used the FTC for 2 hours and the turkey was still hot and juicy.

Hi Socbum, and welcome!  I see this is your first post with us, but have had your smoker 4 years...glad to finally have you with us!  How about heading over to the Introductions section and tell us about yourself?  Also, a first name and town, in your signature line, is welcome around here.

Now, I would like to comment on your turkey size.  I know you said you have done that for 4 years, but unless you are smoking at a higher temp than a standard #2 (250), you are running a lot of risk.  Anything larger than around a 14 lb bird, at 250, will stay in the 40°-140° "danger zone" for way too long.  No, it's certainly not a "guarantee" that you are going to grow enough bacteria in your bird to kill your guests, but the odds, with those size birds, increase substantially.  Save the really big ones for a hot oven, or buy an Auber and bypass your #2 so you can smoke at a higher temperature.   Just my 2¢...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregor

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 02:42:28 PM »

Wow. A 20 lb turkey really fits?  How long did it take?  What is FTC?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 03:45:32 PM »
Foil Towel Cooler (FTC)
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2